Out Here Hope Remains

There is hope for the helpless ... Cry Out To Jesus. -- Third Day

Saturday, June 04, 2005

Narcolepsy

Narcolepsy: A disorder characterized by sudden and uncontrollable, though often brief, attacks of deep sleep, sometimes accompanied by paralysis and hallucinations. I'm living through one of those times when you don't realize how tired you are. After a week of Bible Camp, I'm pretty much wiped out. I slept very well in my own bed last night. I should be rested up! But today I have had bouts of sporadic napping. When I fall asleep reading my favorite blogs on the internet, something is wrong. I took my family for a late lunch at Applebees this afternoon. I didn't think I was going to be able to make it home. I walked through the door, climbed into bed, slept for a few hours. Then I got up, spoke with my son for a minute (I can't remember what that conversation was about) ... Sat in my chair... Fell asleep for another hour. Even now while I blog I am barely hanging onto consciousness. One day the angels came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan also came with them. The LORD said to Satan, "Where have you come from?" Satan answered the LORD, "From roaming through the earth and going back and forth in it." [Job 1:6-7] I do not think Satan suffers from narcolepsy. He doesn't ever seem to be taking a nap in my neighborhood. We might think things are really going great, but suddenly evidence of his work catches us by surprise. Sailing high on the spiritual winds of assurance, we catch our breath as we notice we are plunging. But with mighty power and angelic assistance, we are lifted back into the heavenly realms into which we were reborn. There is another who never sleeps and is never distant. O LORD, you have searched me and you know me. You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar. You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my tongue you know it completely, O LORD. You hem me in—behind and before; you have laid your hand upon me. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain. Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. [Psalm 94:1-10] Thank you, God, that you are never narcoleptic. Even when my faith naps and lapses, your arms are there to hold me and keep me. Amen.