Out Here Hope Remains

There is hope for the helpless ... Cry Out To Jesus. -- Third Day

Thursday, July 29, 2004

Driving In New Orleans

On my trip to New Orleans today I was reminded about one of the characteristics of this city: people drive ruthlessly. Drivers were pulling across in front of me for no reason! They were tailgating me! There were some driving too slow...most too fast. In fact, I was the only one driving just right. Well...I was the closest! Truthfully, it was making me mad when people were driving so carelessly around me. I wanted to shake my fist at them and call them names ... and drive just like them to show them that I could. Jesus' prayer on the cross, "Father forgive them" is haunting. We should never let our minds wander far from the cross. As disciples of Jesus Christ, should it be our decision to become like those who hurt us ... or is it our path to become like the One who hurt for us? Should I become a reckless driver like those around me? Should I become a reckless talker like those around me? Should I become a reckless critic like those around me? We are called to become something different. We are called to become like Jesus in all areas of life... not just when it seems convenient or easy. In fact, if we cannot become like Him when it is difficult ... does it matter that we are like him when it is easy? Maybe we're not much like Him at all. Next time someone pulls in front of me in traffic, I need to re-think my reaction ... but I also need to be reminded that Jesus calls me to be like him when it is a struggle to do so. The journey demands it.