Out Here Hope Remains

There is hope for the helpless ... Cry Out To Jesus. -- Third Day

Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Reflections on "Where Did the Kingdom Go?"

Yes, there is something a bit self-centered in offering some reflections on one's own writing, but since no one else did...why shouldn't I? (grin) I wrote that because I see so little "Kingdom" in the Kingdom. There is a lot of posturing over positions. I wonder if we think we are really making a difference in people's lives because we take one position or another? I see that people are not really connected in the Kingdom today. This makes for easy dismissal of brothers and sisters when we disagree. I fear that there are many wonderful talented people in the Kingdom, who are crowded into dark corners because they know if they use their talent, someone will strike out at them and hurt them. Some are too tender for that. I see people who are caught in the cage of their own legalities, suffering from it ... yet unwilling to step out, because of loyalty to the one who put them in the cage to begin with. Maybe my view is skewed a bit, but I see very little Kingdom in the Kingdom. As one reader pointed out privately, the reality is that we see so little King in the Kingdom. So what of the Horse, the Otter, the Spider, and the Kitten ... which of them is me? Honestly, they are all me. Each represents a strength and a weakness. The Horse is intelligent, a leader, bold ... but also bossy, self-righteous, unable to see himself. The Otter is funny, endearing, and joyful ... but also silly, immature, and unwilling to get serious. The Kitten is compassionate, relationship-oriented, loving ... but also gullible, weak, and loyal to a fault. The Spider is supportive, action-centered, peace-maker ... but also fearful, retreating, and unable to cope with conflict. So if I see in each of these a little of myself, should I see more of myself in at least one of them. I think I'm a Sporse. Yes, I have to choose two...and two opposite characters at that. I can be bold and I can lead, but I can also be bossy, self-righteous, and unable to see myself at the time. I can usually see it later ... which makes me a little less the horse than I could be. But I also like to make peace, follow a plan ... and generally retreat from conflict. Of course in the story, the spider dies ... and I do think that a fearful retreating life is a dead life. So I'm a little less spider than I could be. Did you follow that? On our blog this week there has been some rugged terrain. But I think in the end there was more Kingdom evidenced than in the beginning. This is the way it should be. But my observation of the church is that the Kingdom is fading ... and seems far away from from most people. We are less interested in using our strengths to strengthen others than ever before. We let our weaknesses lead us into division and strife. I hear very little talk about the Kingdom, and I suspect that it is distant memory to most. It is up to the ones who are aware of this dilemma to bring the Kingdom back into the awareness of those around us. And that's what I had on my mind when I wrote that long story about the Kingdom.