Out Here Hope Remains

There is hope for the helpless ... Cry Out To Jesus. -- Third Day

Saturday, February 12, 2005

The Measure of Willingness

I have a cynical outlook on making changes. It seems to me that very few people make significant and lasting changes in their lives. As I look back over the past few years, I can pinpoint some areas of growth, but it's mostly plodding along in my spiritual life. I read great books about making big changes, but after a brief interlude of enthusiasm, the big changes turn into little adjustments. Most of the little adjustments turn into forgotten resolutions. By and by things stay the same. Now I know that sounds like I'm thinking that Christianity is very "so what" and there's not much use in it. After all, we're the ones pointing to the walking tall - devil beating - disease healing - truth teaching - dead raising Messiah. If he can't help us be any different, is there any reason to claim Jesus as a part of our lives? Is Christianity just hype and talk? No way! On the contrary, when we dig down deep, the grace of Christ offers the only answer that I think we can live with. I am reluctant to make significant changes in my life ... and make them last. I'm still going to make all the efforts I can to live the holy life ... but I understand at the same time that God has embraced and saved me. He's not waiting for me to get it right before he rewards me with a heavenly doggie biscuit for good behavior. He has adopted me fully into His grand family, and is patient with me as I trust / try / fail / trust / try / fail... I think churches mostly stay just like they are...and people stay mostly just like they are. Why? Because we ignore the kingdom while we focus on the comfort and pleasure of the world around us. In reality, Christ came to rescue us from our amazingly stupid attempts to make this life something worth living without Him. (Shouldn't most of those things have a 'dont try this at home' warning attached?) He enters into our boring mediocrity and with simplicity reveals the truth of life to our hearts. Maybe we shouldn't measure our journey by the changes we make along the way, but by the willingness we have to allow the Spirit of God to have free course in our hearts. Let Him make the changes in you ... you just open the door. That is something few of us are willing to do. Thus it is that people stay mostly just as they are. I Know You Understand It All So Why Don't I Get Back On My feet Again -- Understand, Jeremy Camp