Out Here Hope Remains

There is hope for the helpless ... Cry Out To Jesus. -- Third Day

Monday, May 02, 2005

I LOVE THE CHURCH OF CHRIST!

Today I want to do what I have seen no other blogger do ... I want to shout loudly and strongly that I LOVE THE CHURCH OF CHRIST. I know you theological types will think that I'm going to talk about the universal body of saved believers ... and yes I love the church of Christ. But I am going to go on record to say that I love the Churches of Christ ... the sect that wears that name ... the tribe to which I belong. True love isn't blind, and I'm not blind to her faults, but I love her anyway. I can get downright defensive when people criticize some of the nuts growing in her garden and then attribute the nuttiness to her. I know that not everyone in the Church of Christ loves me ... but I love the Church of Christ. I love the Church of Christ because she has provided my faith heritage. It is within the Church of Christ that I came to faith. I heard about Jesus Christ in a Church of Christ. I learned about the Bible in the Church of Christ. In the past I have been guilty of saying, "I don't remember ever being taught about grace in the Church of Christ". To be fair, I wasn't paying that much attention as a child and teenager. I learned in snippets. And like all communication processes, I likely heard things in a certain way that was different than the speaker intended. I want to practice grace with my past in the Church of Christ, because now I'm preaching to some young people and teenagers and others ... and I want them to practice grace with me! I love the Church of Christ because she has provided my faith family. My parents were not big on church attendance, but they did make sure that I attended. I'm glad. I left home at age 17 and never lived with my parents again. Across the years I have been blessed with many many wonderful mothers and fathers in the faith. These people were deeply committed to Christ and the Church of Christ. They fed me (too much), nurtured me, corrected me, kicked me in the seat of the pants when needed, and blessed me. They taught me and hugged me, cried and laughed with me. I love the Church of Christ because I was taught to be hungry and thirsty for God's Word. I was taught that it was not enough to just make an assertion, but that there was a need to seek God's Word for a clear word from the Lord. In my journey I have reached some different conclusions than some of my brothers and sisters in the Church of Christ. I do not, however, make those conclusions based upon my feelings or my experiences. No, I have been trained to search the Word! I watch other people blowing around in the wind of their own imaginations and perceptions and I am grateful to the Church of Christ for teaching me to keep my feet planted in the Word. I love the Church of Christ because her history resonates with me. The Stone-Campbell movement is fascinating. The concepts of reformation and restoration are enthralling. The exaltation of human tradition over the truths of Scripture is disturbing. Perhaps some in our fellowship have forgotten our roots. The call to escape sectarianism is as challenging today as it has ever been. I love the Church of Christ in spite of problems and troubles I see within her walls. I am not a member of the Church of Christ because it makes me happiest. I am here to serve within the greater scope of the kingdom of God. I believe we have a message, and I believe we have a purpose in the scheme of things. I know some of us (myself included) have missed the boat at times, and have been dogmatic when we shouldn't have been. I know that some in our family are quick to draw lines and climb up into God's throne of judgment rather quickly. But I will not join those who fling their curses on the Family that gave me so much. Everywhere I look I see beautiful and bright people of faith who are living out their journey with hope. By saying that I love the Church of Christ, I am not comparing our Faith family to any other. I do not play the "my church is better than your church" game. But I am saying that we do not take a back seat when it comes to faith, love for God, commitment to Jesus, guidance of the Spirit, and love for all that is good. I am not ashamed to be a member of the Church of Christ. I am glad.