Out Here Hope Remains

There is hope for the helpless ... Cry Out To Jesus. -- Third Day

Monday, September 04, 2006

Prayer Matters

We had a good Sunday with about 90 in attendance, including a team of 10 or so from the Hillsboro Church of Christ in Nashville. Will Vance, one of the elders of that church came down with the team, led us in a prayer during our worship time. After worship and class we had a great fellowship meal together. A funeral for one of our members was in the afternoon. In the evening we had a Sunday night fellowship together. It's been a busy day, but a good one. IMPORTANT. I've decided that today is a good day to tell you a little about our history, and one of our current needs. Before Katrina was ever a named storm, our church was facing some difficult decisions. Two families retired and moved away from Pascagoula. It so happens that these were some very generous givers, and between them we lost $700 a week in our contribution. In a church our size, this is a serious shortfall. The elders at that time gave me permission to seek employment in the community, as they were forced to slice my salary in half in order to make budget. It really was the only thing that we could do. I began applying at various places, and then came Katrina. I do not have to tell anyone who has been reading this blog what a catastrophe that was. But thanks to two grants - one from Whites Ferry Road Disaster Relief and one from Gateway Church of Christ in Pensacola, the church was able to pay my salary during 2006. As 2007 approaches, I again face the same situation from a year and a half ago. My salary will be cut in half as of January 1. If the church continues to pay me fully, they will be outspending the contribution in a significant way. None of us wants to see this happen. My strategy for dealing with this situation is to simply let this need be known. If anyone would like to contact our elders, I will be happy to provide their phone numbers. I may write a few specific congregations and let them know of this situation as well. The "plan B" part of my strategy is to get a job in the community after the first of the year and become a bi-vocational missionary here in Pascagoula! At this point, moving to a new church ("plan C") is not on my radar, although one never knows what God has in store for the future. He may have all of those plans in different order! So, that's our situation, and we ask you to join us in prayer about that matter. If you choose to share it with the leadership of your church, I would be appreciative. I hope your Labor Day gives you a needed rest. That's what I plan to do after a very busy weekend! NEWS THAT CAUGHT MY ATTENTION Tropical Depression Six. Florence on the way? No Electricity in Apartment Leads to Tragedy in Chicago. I do not know why this family did not have electricity, but no doubt they could not afford it. With the cost of living rising but wages remaining low, should we look for more of this? Church Services Pay Tribute to Kentucky Plane Crash Victims. Kentucky Churches Packed After Air Crash. Kentucky Church Members Killed in Crash. Ernesto Drenches East Coast. 'Crocodile Hunter' Steve Irwin killed by manta ray. 180,000 Acre Montana Wildfire. Five Years After 9-11: Could It Happen Again? Teen Suicide. One mother's attempt to use her daughter's suicide to help others. Katrina Missions Put Faith Into Action. BLOGS THAT CAUGHT MY ATTENTION My Friend Al Sturgeon Begins a New Blog! Even he wonders if he has time to do this! An important matter was brought to my attention by friend Margo Reed. You can read about this matter HERE. That's from a blog called GOD BLESS MISSISSIPPI. I didnt know about that blog, so I'm thankful that Margo pointed it out to me! Experiences from the Count gives us a peek into the plight of the homeless, and those who are reaching out to help them. Bobby Cohoon draws some spiritual lessons out of his encounter with Ernesto. Brian Neal begins his second mission in China. Charlie and Linda celebrate an anniversary. See what he wrote to her! Wow! Jim Martin Contemplates The Importance of a Name. Preacherman asks, 'What Are We Trying to Restore?' Scot McKnight contemplates the value of Bible Camp. Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting