Out Here Hope Remains

There is hope for the helpless ... Cry Out To Jesus. -- Third Day

Friday, August 27, 2004

Collections

I like collections. I collect coffee cups. Not just any coffee cups, but unusual ones ... shaped a little different ... but not too commercialized ... yes I'm a bit picky. I'll tell you about my cups one day. I also collect those Avon car decanters that have cologne in them that's gone bad long ago ... but I'm picky about them too. They have to be full, and they have to have the original box. I've got 10 or 15 of them somewhere. I also collect ceramic dogs. Not cheap resin dogs, not cartoony looking dogs, but real ceramic dogs that have to be small. Not TINY ... but small. I've got a certain thing in my mind when I look in 'antique' (read: junk) shops ... but I know it when I see it. I have a nice collection of old sermon books. These come and go. A sermon book that continues to connect over time is hard to write, and not many people have done it. There are some real treasures I have found, though, that I hope to always keep if God permits. Now, if I had the funding I could really get into collecting all kinds of stuff ... but the limitations of storage space and cashola do keep me in check. Although until today I was the sole contributor to this blog, it was created to be a collection. A collection of thinkers who love Jesus and each other. We write in hopes that faith may be provoked through a scattered thought ... a seed that can produce something enriching in our minds. It's not exactly as exalted as the philophers on Mars Hill (wouldn't you love to read their blog?) and not as 'high' as a circle of 60's college students smoking pot and being amazed at the curvature of a fingernail ... but maybe somewhere in between. Yes, this is a collection. A collection of friends. A collection of thoughts. An eclectic one, for sure. It ought to make for some interesting reading in the days ahead. Now if we can just get that quiet one in the corner to step into the light ... just a little.