Out Here Hope Remains

There is hope for the helpless ... Cry Out To Jesus. -- Third Day

Wednesday, September 08, 2004

Into The Crowd

Tonight after our teen outreach we had a birthday party for one of our teens. There were streamers, cokes, cake, gifts, and lots of laughter. Smiles and friends were in abundance. He wandered into the room. He's an occasional visitor to our service. I like him ... he's got a friendly spirit and seems to be at home with himself. He looked around as he stood by the door. He ventured into the room and wandered around the cake table, near a group of boys who were laughing and talking. He stood there for a moment and observed ... but it was one of those inopportune moments in the mid-stream of the conversation. I watched from across the room as he headed out, without a word from him, or to him. For me, it was something that I watched happen and later thought about what I should have done or could have done, but didn't. Into the crowd of laughter and merriment came a quiet soul. In quietness he left. Maybe it didn't bother him. Maybe he's used to it. Maybe he wept. I don't know. But I do know I need to be more like Jesus, who always spotted the outsiders in the crowd and honored them. Father, please make me more like Jesus and help me to listen, observe, and care for the ones you have placed in my path.