Out Here Hope Remains

There is hope for the helpless ... Cry Out To Jesus. -- Third Day

Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Big Fish or Pumpkin King?

This is dangerous. I'm pretty sleepy ... got a lot on my mind...feeling kind of unwound ... and I'm blogging. This kind of dangerous combination can lead to some serious hoo-hah going down in the blogation tonight. Well, don't expect to be impressed. But it was a good start. To my friend(s) I would like to say that I would like for you to assume that I want to know what is on your heart. In return I would like for you to assume that if I do not ask, it is mostly because I'm not sure you'd like to tell me. That's either a cop out for not being sympathetic, or it is a courteous way of saying I'm minding my own business unless you'd like to make it my business ... which I welcome. Relationships can be complex things, can't they. Tonight after THE GATHERING we watched BIG FISH, a Tim Burton outing from a few years ago. It was a bit long for me...and kinda slow in the middle. But it was a pretty good movie in many ways. Lots of father-son reconciliation stuff in the movie that doesn't play well in my life at all. Maybe I'll blog about that one day. It's much more intense and interesting to me than anyone else. So in many ways I just could not relate to the family in BIG FISH. Besides I relate more to THIS TIM BURTON MOVIE. Now there's a movie to get into. What follows is the prolific lyric to Jack's Lament. Thanks for reading, if you did. There are few who deny, at what I do I am the best For my talents are rnowned far and wide When it comes to surprises in the moonlit night I excel without ever even trying With the slightest little effort of my ghostlike charms I have see grown men give out a shriek With a wave of my hand and a well-placed moan I have swept the very bravest off their feet Yet year after year, it's the same routine And I grow so weary of the sound of screams And I, Jack, the Pumpkin King Have grown so tired of the same old thing Oh, somewhere dep inside of these bones An emptiness began to grow There's something out there, far from my home A longing that I've never known I'm a master of fright and a demon of light And I'll scare you right out of your pants To a guy in Kentucky, I'm Mister Unlucky And I'm known throughout England and France And since I am dead, I can take off my head To recite Shakespearean quotations No animal nor man can scream like I can With the fury of my recitations But who here would ever understand That the Pumpkin King with the skeleton grin Would tire of his crown, if they only understood He'd give it all up if he only could Oh, there's an empty place in my bones That calls out for something unknown The fame and praise come year after year Does nothing for these empty tears