Out Here Hope Remains

There is hope for the helpless ... Cry Out To Jesus. -- Third Day

Saturday, September 04, 2004

In The Path

If the state of Texas uprooted itself from our landscape and tore across the United States like a tornado, that would be something like what is happening in Florida right now. As Frances stalls this morning, perhaps intensifies somewhat, then gives Florida another crushing blow, she will likely head back into the Gulf of Mexico. At that point, we will find ourselves in the path of the storm. Whether its a direct hit or not is not a big point to make ... after all ... the storm is the size of Texas and you'd have to evacuate to a far distance to escape. In watching news coverage of the storm today I saw the people who not only decided to ignore the evacuation order, but also to wade out into the rough surf. There are experts with specific scientific information who have given us the details about what will happen. There are law officers who have given the call to abandon all property and flee for your life. The government stands ready, having already declared a state of emergency. The winds are howling, tearing up buildings. The rain is pouring like Niagra Falls. And there is someone waist deep in the water playing around, ignoring or oblivious to the reality all around him. I think I'm like that sometimes. The Word has all the information I need. There is the promise of the coming Son. Specifically God has given us instructions about how to live, what to avoid, and even provided a perfect model for us to follow. I can see what sin has already done to the lives around me, even before the judgment arrives. I know from my own experience that following the Christ provides the best results for living. But sometimes I wade in the storm. Unwilling to let all that I know influence me to do what is right, I throw my hands in the air as the surf swirls all around me. And later, as I look back, I recognize the foolishness of it all. It seems like that would give me strength for the next time. Sometimes it does, sometimes I wade anyway. It's awful risky wading in the path of the storm ... but overall I still trust God to rescue me ... even though I have disappointed Him. His love is a storm in itself. And that's the storm in which I want to wade. Father, keep me in the path of your storm of grace.