Out Here Hope Remains

There is hope for the helpless ... Cry Out To Jesus. -- Third Day

Wednesday, November 03, 2004

What We Want

I need You as my refuge My first and last resort Be the river always running Through my deepest thoughts Keep me in Your arms 'Cause even when I drift I want to love You better than this -- "Renew Me", Avalon Sometimes we say we want to do something or to be a certain way, but our actions lead us in another direction. "I want to be thin." I can say that, and I even believe it. I can detect in my heart the ache to become healthier and attain a more attractive body. But the brownies that I ate tonight betray the truth - it is not what I really want. A friend used to say, "People do what they really want to do." I think this is mostly true (though don't tell him I said so - I used to argue with him all the time about this matter!). I've noticed that people do what they really want to do. If we want something bad enough (money, control, sex, acceptance, attention) we will go to great lengths to get it - even subconsciously. So what about religious speak? Do we sometimes hear people say that they want to be more committed to Christ? Or perhaps that they desire to be used by God to reach the lost? "I wish I had more time to read my Bible." These are glaring statements of untruth. The person who wants these things will veer their life towards things that make them a potential. Wishing for them will not bring them into our lives. I wish I could stop the bad habit of (fill in the blank here). Really? Habits are not always easy to break, but it is completely within our grasp. You can make the change if you really desire to. I can point to people who have left behind that which clings to your mind and brings you to your knees in self-defeat. I think what I need sometimes is a good case of wanting to want something better in my walk with God. The "want" is not always there. That is scary. What do we really want ... more than anything else? Evidence will be seen in our lives as we persue our wants. I want you to want me I need you to need me I'd love you to love me I'm beggin' you to beg me -- "I Want You To Want Me", Cheap Trick