Out Here Hope Remains

There is hope for the helpless ... Cry Out To Jesus. -- Third Day

Thursday, April 14, 2005

What Kind of Church?

Jim Martin's latest blog post is awesome. Who am I kidding? All of his posts are excellent. I left the following as a comment on his latest post...but decided to share it here. Today a woman came by our building for some groceries. She had just moved down the street. I invited her to church as I handed her what we had on hand. She looked shy and said she couldn't come to church here because she smoked and drank beer sometimes. I told her we have lots of members who smoke and drink beer. She thought that was funny. Then she asked me if I smoked and drank beer. I told her my addiction was more of the sugar variety. I hope she feels welcome among us sinners! Next week a 'prospective member' and I are going to meet. She is from out of town, but moving into the area. She is obviously very committed to the church, highly intelligent, and concerned about the church with which she will identify. Shall I tell her that she is welcome among the smoking beer drinking Christians? Will she feel welcome among the sinners?