Out Here Hope Remains

There is hope for the helpless ... Cry Out To Jesus. -- Third Day

Saturday, May 07, 2005

Those Disconnected Assemblies

With whom do we seek a connection when we gather as God's people? The evangelical praise and worship movement has given us a consistent chorus that we are gathered to praise God together. The last ten years have provided to us an exciting array of music directed to the Father, Son, and Spirit. I do love it. Like others, I notice that many of our older church songs are directed to the church. And I have read much criticism of that. We want to feel connected to God. We should not put our FAITH in the FEELING that we are connected to God. The connection to God is a matter of trust in the revelation of His will ... and our feelings will come and go. Are we addicted to feeling God's presence? I hear worship leaders say things like, "God really moved here tonight" or "God is in the house" ... as if He wasn't there before. I know what they mean. They mean that there is a feeling that has been achieved. Truly, though, God is there when the feelings are all gone. But I'd like to challenge the "we're here for God" notion for a minute. We have scant information about the NT assemblies ... so ... why are we so rigid and rule-bent on them? I think the 'we're here for God' has the potential to diffuse some discussions, but I am looking for a verse that tells us to get together and worship God. Really. The primary passage of which I am aware says for us to get together and provoke each other to love and good works. Don't get me wrong...you can't be in the wrong when praising God ... but why are we together anyway? We are together to make a connection to one another ... and thereby receive strength. We are often surrounded by virtual strangers in the assembly. Disconnected from one another, and yet blending our voices to a common Father. Sounds surreal to me. It is the reason I can be upset with my clapping hand raising brother ... I don't NEED my connection with him. It is the reason the clapping hand raising brother can disregard his sister who is disturbed by his actions.... He doesn't NEED her. It's all about our focus on God. And that is where we are totally in the wrong. Jason's comments on community were right on the money. Can you imagine that we would become so enamored with speaking / singing / lifting praises to the Father that we would mistreat / ignore / be disconnected from each other? Amazing! And this has nothing to do with contemporary / traditional. In fact, we're not ready to talk about contemporary / traditional until we are ready to talk about the connections we need with one another. I might be wrong, but it is when those connections with each other are strong that we will have clarity as to the direction our local congregation needs to go for now. Being connected takes a lot of effort. And frankly, many churches are full of people who don't really care to know anyone there ... it's just a place to go 'worship'. The verses are plenteous that this is just not enough. How's the community there where you are? To quote an old Barry Manilow song, many Christians seem to me to be on a journey with no satisfaction in sight. Maybe what we're looking for should disappear for a while ... so we can see the person in the pew across the aisle who's heart is breaking ... while we're ignoring them so we can sing praise to God. I've been up, down, tryin' to get the feeling again All around, tryin' to get the feeling again The one that made me shiver Made my knees start to quiver Every time she walked in And I've looked high, low Everywhere I possibly can But there's no tryin' to get the feelin' again It seemed to disappear as fast as it came --Trying To Get The Feeling Again, Barry Manilow