Out Here Hope Remains

There is hope for the helpless ... Cry Out To Jesus. -- Third Day

Friday, November 04, 2005

Frantic Friday

It’s Friday Night on the Gulf Coast, and it’s been quite a day. Maggy and I started off by an adventure in Lowes. We had a list from Mark (more about him later) so that he could work more in our house. We were trying to find the stuff on the list, and were eventually successful. We did have to deliberate over a few items, though. By the time we did that, I had to be at the building for a Bible study (which didn’t happen). Then two trucks arrived and it seemed like there wasn’t much help getting them unloaded. One was from Conyers, Georgia. The three brothers who came from there were able to help unload their own trailer. Then another truck drove up from Trenton, Georgia. We got them unloaded at last. There’s a doubled-edged sword with these deliveries. When we have few workers, it takes a lot of work to get them unloaded … on the other hand … we get lots of great stuff we can give away to others. So I’m not complaining. Just reporting! Maggy and I escaped to Cracker Barrel for a lunch away from the fray, and it was so enjoyable. This afternoon I was asked by some ladies who came in to go get some diapers. So I willingly went and loaded them up with a lot of diapers and wipes from the other room. When I got back there were several of those ladies loading up boxes and boxes full of cases of food. We have bags already prepared for them to take, but they wanted mass quantities! I confronted them about it, but unless I was willing to take it from their hands they weren’t going to put it down. To top it off, they were from Mobile, Alabama. I told them we could not support Mobile and our community as well. But they were offended at my offense I guess. It was disheartening to say the least. Part of the problem is that we are so understaffed during the week. Part of the problem is the greed of some people. And I’m sure I’m part of the problem, too, in some way. I mentioned a few weeks ago a lady and her daughter living in a tent in their front yard. I also mentioned two older brothers who were living in tents. Yesterday I discovered that they both had FEMA trailers, but there were no lights on. They are still in tents, but the campers on their lot offers some hope that soon they will be sleeping indoors. Tomorrow some folks from the Hillsboro Church of Christ in Nashville will be hosting a cookout for our community. This will be followed by a singing and a concert by CORNERSTONE from Faulkner University. Should be a great time! Today a beautiful bouquet of flowers arrived at the church building. The card was addressed to Mr. and Mrs. John Dobbs and it said, “May God’s blessing be on you in your relief work. Your friends at University Church of Christ, Monroe, LA.” We are thankful for the many ways that God’s people have found to offer blessings and encouragement to us. On a personal note, Mark has been working all week in our home framing windows, doors, and putting up molding and baseboards. He and the three who came with him are about to leave tonight to go back to Bloomington, IL. They attend the Evangelical Free Church of Bloomington. They have been so helpful to us personally. I haven’t been home yet to see what has been done at our house, but I’m sure it’s wonderful! Clif asked about Halloween. The local high school had a 'trunk or treat' and gave costumes to the kids who participated. There is still too much debris on the road to walk at night. Well, I’ve had several interruptions in writing this, so I’m going to let that be that. Thanks again to all who are reading. Your notes of encouragement keep us afloat in the Lord.