Out Here Hope Remains

There is hope for the helpless ... Cry Out To Jesus. -- Third Day

Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Thanksgiving's Eve

Today I worked on lists of families that need to be adopted for Christmas. Afterwards our family packed up and headed out. Daughter and grand daughter headed north, and the rest of us headed West. My mother and dad live just out of New Orleans. It was just after sunset when we crested the high-rise and saw a darkened New Orleans. It was an eerie feeling to notice that there were very few lights on in the city. We arrived home safely and have enjoyed an evening here. Tomorrow I will see my brother Gary and his wife Pam and their two children. They are from Bay City, Texas. The church in Bay City sent a generous gift to my family right after the storm. We seldom see Gary and Pam, and in fact they have a new baby that are going to meet for the first time tomorrow. Pray for their safe journey! While I'm at my mother's, things seem a bit more normal. We'll sleep in a real house tonight on a real bed. I won't have to go up the driveway in the middle of the night to go to the restroom in the house. We are walking on carpet, and not bare wood flooring. We actually got to help cook - something we haven't done much of since the storm. But in the back of my mind I will be thinking about the relief effort back home. I pray that many from the community will be served a meal and that they will want to know more about the Jesus who has taught us to serve. I am mindful that after Sunday we will be back down to a very small work crew. I'm looking forward to meeting some new folks, and greeting some returning servants. It all keeps going without me, and I like that. And in another way I want to be an integral part of what's happening there. I hope all of the readers of this blog have a wonderful Thanksgiving. In your comments, why not tell us what you ate at Thanksgiving Dinner that was your favorite item? That will be interesting! Keep the work in Pascagoula in your prayers. We have a long way to go, but we have A Great Source of Strength to see us through.