Out Here Hope Remains

There is hope for the helpless ... Cry Out To Jesus. -- Third Day

Saturday, January 14, 2006

Home is Where The Debris Pile Is

We left the farm this morning about 7:00 a.m., but since we cross a time line, an hour later it was still 7:00 a.m. We stopped at Cracker Barrel in Montgomery. As we walked into the dining room, there to our left were old friends Fenter and Sue Northern. Brother Northern was a teacher at Magnolia Bible College when I was a student there. He is a colorful character and there are lots of stories that have brother Northern as a centerpiece. I walked right up to his table, pulled a chair out, and sat down and looked him in the eye. It has been a few years since he has seen me, but he looked at me momentarily and spoke my name. We had a happy moment of reunion. Once we were home, I recognized that everything was just as we had left it. Thankfully one of our members, Wynona Harris, had gone out of her way to help take care of my son (who doesn't need a lot of taking care of - but at 16 he needs a mother around!). Everything was uneventful as far as I know! Tonight I spent a few hours with David at the church building. We should have a really big crowd tomorrow. Extra seating has been arranged. That's great. Unfortunately (in one sense), I won't be here. Sam Long from Faulkner University will be coming in to preach. However, I am blessed to be speaking at the Port City Church of Christ in Mobile in the morning. Chris Lockhart has been a weekly companion for me ... and I will never forget that in the first few months of the storm Chris called me daily. Gene and Robin Bartlett have also been over to help a lot, as well as other Port City members. I will present slides, offer our thanks, and encourage the involvement of the church in this overwhelming ministry just 30 miles away. I'm looking forward to spending a little time with Chris and Susan. Bruce Stewart is the preaching minister for the church. I should be sleeping, but here I am blogging. I will tell you about one of my old friends who has a new blog. You can read Gary Kirkendall's blog HERE. You will want to bookmark it if he updates it often. As a sad start to his blog, he spends much of his time talking about me! This past week with Gary was nothing but joy and refreshment as we renewed our friendship. Gary's greatest gift is clarity. He is simply not distracted by little stuff. I've always wanted to be morel like him in this area. I could write a lot about him, and maybe I will one day. There is a story that connects Gary Kirkendall, Fenter Northern, and Me. Perhaps that will show up here very soon. He has led me beside the still waters in this past week. In my heart I rejoice in His great care for my family. I hope that my heart has been strengthened and is now prepared to love and embrace the broken and hurting that surround us in this community. Come join us in the work.