Out Here Hope Remains

There is hope for the helpless ... Cry Out To Jesus. -- Third Day

Friday, February 03, 2006

Unexpected Talents

Today I've worked some on our website (www.123Jesus.com) by updating the work crew list and some of our current needs. Check there anytime to find out what we need at the moment. I do my best to keep that current. Chris Lockhart came over today for his weekly visit. Now Chris has been a blessing to me in any number of ways, but nothing prepared me for his blessing today! We were talking about the Dobbs family need to get some furniture in the house. Chris then modestly confessed that he did all of the decorating in their home. Now Chris and Susan have a beautifully appointed home, and we were impressed! So it wasn't long before Maggy and I and Chris were walking around the furniture store. We picked out a couch and loveseat, and will get it next week. So Chris, the Interior Design Consultant, is now officially in business! This afternoon David and I did a few home visits. We visited the home of an elderly couple that were among the first to apply for help. It takes a long time sometimes. I think we will be able to help them this week. I'll tell you more about them at another time. Tonight LT is back from Hope Missions, and the rest of the crew flies in tomorrow (today ... whew it's getting late) from Pennsylvania. We're looking forward to a great and productive week! One of my dear friends, Bill Collins, has resurrected his blog in order to give his Hurricane Katrina account. Go ahead now and get caught up. Then wait with us for the next segment! I know my blogs can be a bit heavy at time, so I end tonight (this morning) with a somewhat humorous list of some of my favorite things that came through the donation machine following Katrina. These are items we found in boxes that were sent with good hearts and hopeful thoughts that someone needed them. And they did. One bottle of Lucky Tiger Hair Tonic. I don't know where it came from or why there was only one, but it sure stirred up childhood memories of sitting in the barber chair! And I was amazed that they still make it! I'm not sure who ended up with this treasure, but I'm sure they were happy to have it. Several boxes of home made soap. This is stuff you have to buy from people who make it and market it from their homes. The hallway sure did smell good for a while. I did manage to get a bar of that soap! A box of Avon stuff. My wife and daughter are former Avon ladies, so this stuff caught my attention. Especially a bottle of shampoo made by Avon that is my favorite! (Stay back Tommy!) Thanks to whatever Avon lady sent that in ... I enjoyed a bottle of that! There were cases of some blue tortilla chips that tasted awful! But we managed to give them away! Boxes full of brand new still in the wrapper underwear! woo hoo! Coffee and Chocolate. I mentioned once on my blog that these would be great items and then they came pouring in from Alabama, Nevada, and parts unknown! I did share it with others, so I'll put it in this list. And for a laff, the funniest thing I remember coming through the line was a bottle of carpet cleaner. I know it was sent with good intentions ... but I wonder who thought they could clean a carpet after it had been soaked with sea water and sewage??? There were probably other interesting materials that came through, but these are the ones that stand out in my mind as I get ready for bed ... where I should have been two hours ago! Goodnight, readers! And if you sent the carpet cleaner, we don't hold it against you. We thank you for the smile!