Out Here Hope Remains

There is hope for the helpless ... Cry Out To Jesus. -- Third Day

Saturday, March 04, 2006

From Death to Life

This morning's funeral was a tough one, emotionally. I did receive plenty of feedback, though, that the funeral message was well received. I usually figure that in most funerals there is so much pain that most people just remember a vague impression about how they felt at the event, rather than anything specific that was said. Richard Carpenter was a mighty fine Christian man, however, and that made it a joy to offer tribute to his life. Funerals are times when we gather and see old friends and family from far away. I enjoyed seeing several people that I have not seen in a long time. It was a special joy to see Robert and Lynda Lingle. I wish I could have had an hour of conversation with these wonderful servants of Christ. Robert was a deacon, and then elder, at Central for a time period over thirty years. He and Lynda offered me countless encouragements over the years. One of his favorite comments after church on Sundays was, 'that was the best one yet!' After about five years of that, he found other ways to express his enthusiasm for the sermons. He often stood before the congregation after one of my messages and bragged about me in front of everyone. I know we do not live for the exaltation of men. But Robert's public commendations built up my spirit and gave me courage to keep on preaching boldly. It was just the encouragement a young preacher needed. I miss him for that, and for many many other reasons. I rode to the cemetary with the funeral directors and pall bearers in a stretch limo. When we were ready to return back to the funeral home, however, the car wouldn't start. That gave me a good opportunity to ride home with my good friends Norlan and Mary Conerly. I spent this afternoon getting ready for tonight's Good News Night. We only had a very few show up, so we simply had prayer together and called it a night. Tonight seventy five college students rolled in from North Carolina. Campus Christian Fellowship will be with us all week. Neal Alligood is the leader of this trip. He will be preaching tomorrow night. I look forward to a great week together. This afternoon David and I visited the home of an 85 year old lady. We met with her and her son earlier this week. He took her to Jackson during the storm and thought she would just stay there. However, it's just not the same as home. She misses Pascagoula and wants to move home. Basically her home has remained untouched for six months. I'll leave you with a picture. More are on my picture page. Pray for her ... and for the college students who will spend this week getting that house gutted and ready for sheetrock.