Out Here Hope Remains

There is hope for the helpless ... Cry Out To Jesus. -- Third Day

Thursday, September 09, 2004

Mountaintops are Over-Rated

Steve, your thoughts caused me to think about those mountaintop that seem so daunting and so short-lived. I think we make a mistake to seek the mountaintops anyway - they're over rated. To me, faith is more like a journey through a jungle ... with thick groves of trees and vines all around us. They are so thick that we can't see very far ahead at all. There are wild and dangerous animals in the jungle ... terrifying enemies that seek to kill me. I hack my way through the brush with the machete of my own will, growing tired and wondering if there is anything on the other side of the jungle. Afraid to keep going, afraid to stop. Suddenly I hack through a wall of vine and underbrush and find myself standing at the edge of a precipice. It's a beautiful and breathtaking view ... a panorama of lush foilage in an expansive valley. A magnificent waterfall plunges down the side of the rocks on the other side of the valley. Stunningly beautiful flamingos (LOL Yes...Flamingos!!!) fly across the glittering water below and land at water's edge. A cool breeze blows across my face. I've traveled so far for this moment. It's a wonderful moment. All is peace and rest and beauty. For a moment I reflect on my journey ... a difficult one ... more difficult that I expected. But how did I end up here? HERE! Wow! I could build a hut or find a cave and just live here! But my heart knows I'm not at the end of my journey. In fact, I've only discovered a new path that will lead me to .... other unknown places. I can feel the call to move on, and reluctantly I leave this vista in search of another something in my destiny. I re-enter the jungle and begin to hack away ... remembering that all along it was not the machete of my own will at all that led me to true beauty. It was the gentle hand of God that held me in the terrors of the dark jungle, and led me to a brief vision of what he has awaiting ... at the other side of the jungle.