Out Here Hope Remains

There is hope for the helpless ... Cry Out To Jesus. -- Third Day

Saturday, September 18, 2004

Randomness

What do you do when the disaster that was supposed to happen didn't? I'm mindful of my brothers and sisters and fellow Coastians suffering to the East of us ... and hope we can help them get things back together. But for us, maybe we go through a temporary disconnect from the "emergency-crisis" mode to the "back to normal mode". Today I feel in between. In fact, as far as I can tell, everyone I talk to feels inbetween. Everything seems so random ... disconnected today. I had to try to remember what day it was, earlier. Maybe it's because my family has been out of town a few days and there's nothing really normal about the flow of things without the familial structure in place. I did attend a funeral today where two brothers who haven't seen each other in a long time were present. One fussed loudly with and cursed the other ... but that might be how they always related...I don't know. But I wondered how their children would grow up to relate to one another. The lady at the grocery store charged me twice for my peach preserves. Then took one of them off of the ticket. But by the time she got through she declared that she charged me twice and sent me to the counter to get a refund. There I dutifully reported that I thought she had removed it, but had since forgotten that she had done so. Tomorrow's sermon has yet to have a word written ... and I'm as motivated as a slug. So it's been a weird disconnected kind of day for me. In just a little while the family will drive up and chaos will ensue. It might as well ... it's been too quiet around here anyway. Perhaps in the noise and joy and conflict and food and sighs and hugs there might appear on the radar of my life a strand of normalcy. Or perhaps I'll just get heartburn. Either way, I'm glad the disaster didn't happen to us, no matter how uncomfortable this inbetween time.