Out Here Hope Remains

There is hope for the helpless ... Cry Out To Jesus. -- Third Day

Monday, January 03, 2005

My Affair Is Over

Dear Debbie, I am writing to tell you that the affair is over. This may come as a surprise to you, for I have given you nothing but positive affirmation throughout our relationship. You have changed my life in many ways and I have to tell you it has been a great time for me. Our breakup is not easy, I want you to know. I have thought about it a great deal, and sacrificing the sweet relationship we shared ... well ... it's almost enough for me to just forget about breaking it off. I really wonder if I am even strong enough to resist your tempting charm. In reality, you have been a crutch to me. I have turned to you in times of stress, frustration, and even boredom. This may hurt you to hear me speak of you so selfishly, as if you only exist to satisfy my urges. Yet, that is exactly why we had this affair in the first place, isn't it? I was feeling empty and aimless, you were there so willingly offering yourself. You've never asked anything of me, and I have never given anything to you. But you have given me something that is hard to ignore. I'm sure I shall think of you often. I know that this is no consolation to you. I do appreciate the variety of ways you have tried to appeal to me. You did your best, no doubt. I must seem terribly ungrateful. I know that this is an unhappy event for you, and you probably find it hard to understand. You have to know that there will be others just like me. I see them everywhere ... men who look for the kinds of things you offer. Men who will embrace you and offer you the same kind of dedication that I once did. I confess that I may occasionally fall and visit you again, if you would have me. Yes, I know that sounds selfish and weak. In the end, I think this will be the best for both of us. Parting really is such sweet sorrow. I will remember often the time we spent together. But I must go. Please don't cry. Love, John PS: Debbie, this is my favorite picture of you. Although they call you "Little" Debbie, what you have done for me will not receive the same adjective!