Out Here Hope Remains

There is hope for the helpless ... Cry Out To Jesus. -- Third Day

Friday, February 18, 2005

Solitude In Shepherd State Park

Today I spent a few hours in Shepherd State Park. Even though this beautiful park is only 30 mintues from my house, I've never been there in the 12 years I've lived here. I'm such a desk-jockey that this was very unlike me to go out to this park by myself. Even more so, to walk the nature trails through the woods. I have to admit I was a bit unnerved a few times. It was a beautiful walk, and it took me about an hour and a half to walk the big trail. Evidence of the swift winds of Hurricane Ivan remain. For most of the time I walked in silence, purposefully. Since the park is surrounded by residential areas, there were a few times I could visibly see neighborhoods as the trail led along the edges of the park. I must have been near a neighborhood at one point, beause I heard a woman scream, and a man screaming "Oh My God! Help!" I started to reach for my cell phone, but I had no idea what I would tell the police. "I'm in Shepherd State Park ... somewhere ... and I heard screams from somewhere...I have no idea where." Also, where I was located at the time left no clue where the sounds were coming from. So I stopped, listened, and prayed. In just a few minutes I could hear sirens. This was one of the times I was unnerved. It was then that I wished someone was with me. Of course someone was, Jesus. After that I walked swiftly for a while ... nervous energy I guess. I finally found a place to sit down for a bit and think and pray. It was then that I was unnerved for the second time. I heard a very loud yell. And the only way I can describe it is as a 'redneck yahoo'...followed by a girl screaming ... then an evil kind of laugh ... kind of like somone hid, scared someone else, and then laughed about it. Still, I had no idea where I was on the trails (no map, no sense of direction, no experience on this trail!). As I was walking I found a deck overlooking the marsh, a nice restful place. But I didn't stay long. I was ready to get to my van and drink some water. It was a strange visit to a new place. I hope to go back in the Spring when some flowers will be in bloom and it will look much different. I have some pictures of my visit posted HERE.