Out Here Hope Remains

There is hope for the helpless ... Cry Out To Jesus. -- Third Day

Saturday, May 14, 2005

I Mean Now

In visiting patients at the hospital I make it a major goal to stay out of the way of the nurses. They have plenty to do without bumping into me. I do speak to them, but I know their mind is on all of the care they are giving to the patients. I do stop by the nurses station and leave a few 'thought for the day' cards for those times when they can take a break. Yesterday I was in an unfamiliar wing of the hospital where none of the nurses know me, and I do not know them. I was doing my usual banter, "how are you, here are some thoughts for you." She looked up at me and said, "Oh thank you, I need that today. I am under so much stress." I am sure she is under much more stress than the obvious, and I said a few encouraging words. She said, "I need you to pray for me." I told her I would. Then she gave me that look. It was the look that said, 'I mean now'! She told me her name was Linda. So I reached across the counter and took Linda by the hand and we prayed right there in the chaos that God would bring peace to her heart. My main goal is to visit patients, but there are over 700 employees at any given time at the hospital. That's a ministry in itself. Most of the doctors and nurses hurry by, intent on their purposes. But Linda needed some help ... now. Every day we are passing people just like Linda, and we do not even know it. They are struggling to just make it through the day. They need some divine help, they need your Abba. And He longs to comfort them. We are his priests, bringing His presence into the broken and wounded lives of His creatures. Somewhere in your neighborhood, at your grocery store, on your pew at church, or even in your home there is someone who needs a touch from God ... now. I am finding that the things I intend to do, or plan to accomplish, aren't nearly so interesting as the things that God has placed in my day to take me by surprise ... things that open up the Kingdom of God right before my eyes. Where will he direct our steps? Not just for your whole life ... I mean now.