Out Here Hope Remains

There is hope for the helpless ... Cry Out To Jesus. -- Third Day

Thursday, October 13, 2005

Frustrations and Discipleship

There are many blessings and frustrations that come with helping people. Frustrations occur in many different ways. One way is the observation of those who abuse the help offered. Abuse happens when people appear to be stockpiling supplies. Perhaps they are not … but it certainly appears that they do. Frustration happens when one feels helpless to be able to meet the needs who look you in the eye and ask for some kind of help. Each one has a heartbreaking story. As much as you want to help them, you can’t help them all. Frustration happens as you try to meet the needs of those around you, but helpers are tied up in some other direction and you can’t get it done by yourself. It is frustrating when you are talking to one person, the cell phone rings and you start talking to them, then another person beeps in on you. I guess the disciples were a bit frustrated at times. I recall a bunch of children getting in the way of some really “important” stuff, so the disciples shooed them away. One time Jesus was on his way to heal one person, but another person stopped him when she touched the hem of his garment. Another time Jesus rang the dinner bell for thousands when there were only a few loaves and fishes. While the disciples got all ‘flusterated’ (a word I’ve come to use a lot!), Jesus held the children, blessed the infirm, and fed the hungry. And so we walk in His shoes, learning from Him, but dealing with ourselves at the same time. TODAY has been a pretty hectic day (meaning lots of people are at the church building being served). We have had a few truckloads of supplies in, and two or three trucks today. So, we are brimming with needed supplies. That’s a good thing. It’s also a fact that drives up the intensity factor around here. I went out on the bus this afternoon delivering food, pillows and blankets, clothes washing detergent, bleach, and pine sol. We also had beanie babies to give all the kids. After pretty much emptying the bus, we are back re-loading for the next drive. I feel better about this kind of outreach than the drive-in ministry. We have a good crew of workers coming in this weekend. Starkville (MS), Memphis (TN), and other places will be represented. A group from Kentucky will be headed home in the next day or so. They have been marvelous. In my weary mind the groups all kind of mesh together and I really do not know where they are all from. We are in good shape with supplies, and this weekend we should have a great supply of helpers. I hope we can get a lot of work done for people When we have a big crew in, I tend to fade back some and let them carry the burden of it all. MINISTRY. I need some preachers (or some men and women with spiritual compassionate hearts) to come in and help me with some ministry stuff. We need people to pray with those who come in and those we visit in the neighborhoods. I need help with this because it is so difficult to hear these stories over and over again. I believe if we could get some kind of evangelistic movement going, we could see a big harvest. I have even considered having preaching each night for the community to come and hear. Who knows if that will work or not? But I do know that there is much spiritual interest. I know everyone is very busy in their own ministry, but this is a once-in-a-lifetime mission effort. People are open. Hearts are tender. I have put the call out for some ministers to come and HELP (not debate religions), but haven’t heard much back. I was able to update our church website today. I also will be putting new pictures up as I can on my webshots page. Church temporary address is my house: 1715 Williams Street Pascagoula, MS 39567 Church shipping address: 1316 Ingalls Avenue Pascagoula, MS 39567 My cell phone: 228-324-0576 Thanks for reading and responding. Those little notes sure do encourage me! Grace and Peace!