Out Here Hope Remains

There is hope for the helpless ... Cry Out To Jesus. -- Third Day

Saturday, September 17, 2005

Trinkets / Updates

They really are just trinkets. A vase, a picture, a quilt, or a book ... just trinkets representing a life. My life. Our lives. Yet these trinkets now take on an inestimable significance. To you they might even seem like worthless junk. But even if you are right, they mean a lot to us. I was thinking about this while about to go to bed last night. My wife salvaged a quilt, washed and dried it, and it now sits on the fold-out bed we are sleeping on. It's not a home-made quilt. You can buy one just like it in a department store near you. But it is ours. It used to spread across the bed we used to own ... the one that now rots in a dumpster somewhere. There is some measure of comfort in that store-bought quilt in our borrowed quarters. The trinkets that used to hide in drawers and closets are now highly valued treasures. They are a kind of hieroglyphics of our past. We hold them, examine them, revel in the memories created by them, and we thank God for them. And before I get too unhappy about anything I'm going through at the moment, I can always look down the street at the people living in tents in their front yards. They are grateful for the tent, I imagine. Yet, I have a wonderful room to call home ... and more blessings to come. I pray that for our Coast community there are many more blessings to come. UPDATES Tomorrow we will worship in our building, for which we give thanks. We have more people working from more places than I can name … and I hope they know how grateful we are. Please adjust your address books and send all e-mail communications to me at: dobber1130@yahoo.com or ownedbyjesus@gmail.com. I’ll be checking those two addresses. The bellsouth address will likely go away … but at this point I’m not sure. Thanks to those who have sent personal contributions to my family. They have been such a blessing to us. We have unexpected expenses due to the storm, and these gifts have filled our hearts with prayers and love. We are just astounded at the following item! A brother has purchased for us a new camper in which to live while our home is being repaired. I am speechless! I will post an address soon if you would like to join him in the project. I do not even know this brother! He is willing to pay the full price … but welcomes any participation if you wish. Now… I have to purchase a vehicle that can tow a camper! My truck was totaled out ( it was flooded in Katrina), so I have some money to put down. This is one of those unexpected expenses that we will face. But we are thankful, still. I would guess that hundreds of volunteers have flooded the Gulf Coast with help. Someone said today that the ‘church of Christ’ is ‘out in the community, not just serving people at their building’. I am happy about that. Our building looks like Wal-Mart … food, clothing, supplies we have it all … at an everyday low price: $0. We are supplying hotdogs and hamburgers to the community, as well as ice and other supplies. One of our men and his wife are overseeing this massive project. They have been quite a blessing to our entire community. As has been stated before, manpower and money remain the two greatest needs. As time goes by, our members (and community) will need to replace all appliances, furniture, bedding … really everything. FEMA will help some, insurance will help some, but many fall between the cracks. Thanks to everyone who has sent donations – both individual and congregational … personal and for the church. We are now receiving mail, so any correspondence can be sent to the Central Church of Christ in care of: John Dobbs 1715 Williams Street Pascagoula, MS 39567 Our church has a P. O. Box and I do not know when the post office will be restored…it is destroyed. This is long, and I hope to be able to update more often … at least that’s my hope. God bless each of you. Thanks for your wonderful encouragements. We would be terrified if not for God’s presence, and the helping hand of His people.