Out Here Hope Remains

There is hope for the helpless ... Cry Out To Jesus. -- Third Day

Saturday, March 18, 2006

My Day with Robbie

Today was my day with Robbie. It wasn't what either of us planned, it just happened! One reason is that Robbie has an intense toothache and is unable to really concentrate on what he's doing. So, he was unable to do his normal job for today. We started off our day together hanging a sheet of drywall. Yes, I helped hang sheetrock! Not that I did anything special. We were using nails because we were just tacking it up to close off a garage wall. I managed to bend three or four nails, which did not surprise me a bit. After that, we went to a house and measured it for sheet rock to be delivered. Seventy sheets are needed in this house. It didn't get delivered today, though. Maybe soon! I know it will make someone very happy! Next we decided to visit Cheryl. (Robbie and Cheryl are posing with their Coca Colas on the left.) I have written about Cheryl in a previous blog post. She has lung cancer and throat cancer. Most of the time when I visit with her, she cannot speak for long without vomiting. The chemotherapy leaves her weak and nauseated. Robbie had visited her a few weeks ago, having made her one of his famous crosses wound with wire. We stopped by Dollar Tree where Robbie bought Cheryl some Coca-Cola glasses. Cheryl is a big collector of Coca-Cola memorabilia. She was happy to see us, and actually looked better than I have seen her look in a long time. We had lunch together at La Fiesta Brava, a favorite place of mine to eat. One of our teenagers, AJ, works there. He was not working there today, though. Unfortunately, Robbie bit down on a tortilla chip on his hurting tooth, and that sort of ended his enthusiasm for lunch. Thankfully, he was pretty much through by then! We went back by the building and picked up James and headed to Lowes. I had a turbine on top of my house that was damaged in the last batch of storms that came through. Robbie assured me that he could replace it. Going to a store with James and Robbie is an adventure - a fun one. James walks around singing to the top of his lungs about how great God is. He makes a lot of people smile. Well, Robbie did get that turbine replaced, and we headed back up to the church building. Tonight about 75 workers arrived into town, and about 75 more will arrive tomorrow. We are excited to embark on another week of getting a lot of stuff done for others. We have workers from Missouri (two groups) and Kansas right now. Rod Tate spoke again tonight, and did a great job. He brought his friend Tim Silvers to lead singing as well. Tonight he talked about roadblocks that God has set into place to keep us from losing our souls. If we do lose our souls, it will be in spite of those roadblocks that He has set into place. It was presented in such a kind and beautiful way. The kids from Missouri listened with interest, and so did I. After services I stayed behind to get tomorrow morning's power point and Sunday bulletin ready. Robbie came in and we visited a bit more. I hope he will be able to stand the toothache until Monday morning. Robbie has now achieved 90 days of sobriety, and I am so proud of his success. He has a super heart and I know that God is using him each day in ways that he could never imagine. Robbie also told me that his step mother reads the blog often. I really did spend the day with Robbie, but I also wanted her to know how much he means to all of us. Tomorrow I hope to tell you about Esther, and Keith's gift from a atheist! But for now, I pray for you a good night and a great Sunday!