Out Here Hope Remains

There is hope for the helpless ... Cry Out To Jesus. -- Third Day

Friday, March 17, 2006

Sadness and Expectation

I spent the morning updating the website, calling some of those who are about to make their way to the Coast, and lining up things for night services while I am gone. I had a long chat with my friend Dusty Rush. He reminded me that we are less than a week away from my speaking at Memorial Drive Church of Christ on the night before the workshop begins. I'm shaking in my shoes! My friend Chris Lockhart spent the day with me today. I always appreciate his visits. Maggy and I ate lunch with Chris at Monica's (great food). Dean Owens called me on the phone to tell me about a visit he had made, someone I needed to meet. So Chris and I headed over and met Jerry. Jerry was in a car accident a few years ago and spent a long time in a coma. He has lost the use of one arm and most of one leg. For all of his struggles, he has a great sense of humor. He had a lot of visitors this week as teams from OK and NC and MA worked on his yard. Dale Bresee brought him a Bible. We will continue to visit with Jerry. Keep him in your prayers. Chris and I also visited a lady named Lorene. Lorene and her mother have been to church several times, even though Lorene is chronically ill. She wasn't having a good day today, so we visited with the mother. Their situation is not unlike a lot of people. The storm ruined her house - the one she has lived in for almost 40 years. Because of rising medical costs, Lorene had to cancel her home insurance a few years ago. The home is off of its foundation and it will take an astronomical amount of money to repair. In the mean time, Lorene's health is not good. Keep her and her mother in your prayers. Dianne Griffin, her sister, and a nephew are here doing some work. They are from Nashville. Dianne's husband, Lynn, is the tennis coach for Lipscomb University. I have a very clear memory of riding to Lowes with Lynn and his words of encouragement and grace. I'm thankful to this trio of servants who this afternoon cleaned up a house that Charlie and Linda gutted this morning. Where are Charlie and Linda? I hope they haven't gone yet! Hey Charlie, we got the internet connection fixed! (Thanks to David Kilbern, Jr.) Chris an I brought an ice cooler with ice to Dianne and they took a nice water break! Hard workers! Then Chris received news that his sweet wife, Susan, was not well ... so he went home to take care of her. This evening Rod Tate and Tim Silvers and their wives arrived from the Central Church of Christ in Chatsworth, Georgia. Rod will be preaching for three days while Tim leads singing. They both did a great job tonight. Following the message on Luke 15, four representatives of the team from North Carolina spoke about what the week meant to them. After that, L. T. Sheddy got up to conclude the program. All 42 Hope Mission team members (or at least all who were present) stood before the group and shared what the week meant to them. Lots of tears were shed and some great stories were shared. L. T. is an awesome and godly leader who has been such a blessing to me. His quiet demeanor, his noteworthy work ethic, and his love for God shine through so brightly. This is his third mission trip down. David and I had an opportunity to share our hearts as well. Of course this means tears for both of us. We are so grateful for all the help we receive from so many different places. Congratulations to Robbie Woods, who is due his 75 day chip from AA. Clean and sober for 75 days - what an awesome achievement! Finally for tonight .... remember the guy (BO) who made the wooden pulpit for us? Well, he also has a stock car. He sent us a picture, but I'm having difficulty getting it to upload. Anyhoo, if you look closely at the car you will find our web address now painted neatly on part of it. Isn't that the coolest thing ever? Tomorrow is Saturday ... so we'll say goodbye to the Hope Missions teams and the Chapel Hill (North Carolina) ... and hello to some new people. Each day is a new adventure!