Out Here Hope Remains

There is hope for the helpless ... Cry Out To Jesus. -- Third Day

Monday, March 13, 2006

Monday on the Coast

This morning started off with an orientation session with the crew that just got here the night before. They worked in a neighborhood, issuing invitations to church and praying with people. I enjoyed running some errands for people for most of the morning and early afternoon. I did meet with a young couple this afternoon who have quite a story to tell ... but I'm not sure I have it all right. But however the story goes, at the end of it they have a FEMA camper just two blocks down the street. We loaded them up with diapers for their little boy and I filled their tank up with gas. A brother from Pennsylvania gave me some cash to use as I saw needs. So I shared some of it with the young couple. Tomorrow we'll take some supplies to their camper and help them get settled in. I hope to see them in church very soon! This afternoon I went to Dough Joe's (who finally have a website up), and bought three hazelnut latte's and headed over to the house where Charlie and Linda Whitfield are painting. I think Charlie and I have each mentioned each other's blogs for the past several posts ... but when you write about what you do each day and you both do the same thing, that's what happens! We enjoyed some time together sharing our hearts and minds. Charlie is an elder in the church where they serve. Our churches have a similar history and his preacher sounds like someone I would enjoy meeting. Although I have only known Charlie and Linda for a few weeks, I feel comfortable with them ... like I have known them for a long time. As I get to know them better, I am not surprised at all that they are here to work and serve others. That's the kind of people they are. I have a few friends that when we talk the conversation never seems to end ... it just floats along from one thing to another. The hours fly by with joyful communication. And that is the way it is with Charlie and Linda. This evening our services were not as well attended as I had hoped, but we still had a good crowd. John Robert and Brad (From OC) led singing. Or Brad may not be his name ... I have called him everything in the book ... Brett, Bradley, Bread ... I don't know. He and the Lord know so that's all that counts. Mike Price, minister of the Picayune Church of Christ, was our speaker for the night. Mike passionately described the way that God loves us so intensely that he is always chasing us down. He vividly showed us from Scripture how that this love of God changes our lives. I appreciate Mike for making the long drive over. I am glad he is my friend. I enjoyed some late night chats before coming home, eating a late supper, responding to some e-mails, posting a blog ... the usual these days. Tomorrow I need to buy some baseboards and get them painted so that a friend can get them put down for us Thursday. I think a few guys from North Carolina are going to help me. I am a book-a-holic, as everyone who knows me knows. My big surprise for the day was receiving in the mail two books from my Amazon Wish List. My friend Mike Kjergaaard from Cedar Creek Church of Christ in Indiana sent them to me with his regards. Mike and I are 'on line friends', and although we have never met we have a kindred spirit and enjoy communicating so much. I keep in regular contact with him via e-mails and phone calls. Maybe one day I'll get to meet my encouraging brother. What did he send? Glad you asked! He sent MORE READY THAN YOU REALIZE by Brian D. McLaren and JESUS DRIVES ME CRAZY by Leonard Sweet (who seems to publish a new book every 3 weeks). I just finished Rob Bell's VELVET ELVIS. (Sorry Chris, but Rob should stick to video, where he excels.) I am also reading a theological book that I will tell you about another day - when I'm finished with it ... I already know I'm going to recommend it highly. Thanks, as always, for reading. Below: Mike Price makes a point.