Out Here Hope Remains

There is hope for the helpless ... Cry Out To Jesus. -- Third Day

Friday, June 30, 2006

Brotherhood

Several years ago I joined an e-mail Bible discussion list called Berean Spirit on Yahoo! Groups. The list was started by Al Maxey and has had nearly a thousand subscribers. I began to make acquaintences via e-mail with people all over the world. I met ultra-liberal brothers and I met ultra-conservative brothers. We have had people on the list that we do not consider brothers at all. Over time I even owned the list for a while, before giving it to my friend Gerry Parker, who used to live in nearby Grand Bay, AL several years ago. Anyway, on a list like that, one can bring up just about any topic and get a flurry of e-mails containing opinions on the matter ... from just about every perspective. Sometimes that leads to good conversation, and sometimes it leads to an argument. I'm telling you all of this to help you know how I came to know Mike Kjergaard. I first noticed Mike in a discussion on baptism. He was at the time preachingfor a Christian Church in Virginia. He is now at Leo, Indiana at Cedar Creek Church of Christ. In this discussion on baptism I noticed this Christian Church guy and I were hanging in there together on the necessity of baptsim for salvation, while some others were downplaying it's role. Thus began some of my education about the Christian Church. Like all churches, some congregations are different than others. There are Christian churches everywhere on the spectrum from the most liberal to the most conservative. Someone told me yesterday about a Christian Church that used to write up a local Church of Christ because they had a watermelon feed. You get the idea. We in churches of Christ have congregations everywhere on the spectrum as well. Mike and I have been friends now for several years - basically through e-mails and phone calls. One of the joys of the North American Christian Convention was to meet Mike in person and have some great conversation with him. He is just as fun ... and just as devoted to Christ ... in person as he was online. In fact, I was surrounded by people who were joyous, devoted, Bible-loving, God fearing, disciples of Jesus Christ. There were many of them, and I didn't meet all of them. I am sure I do not agree with all of them on all of the nuances of faith practices. However, we all agree that Jesus Christ is the risen Lord and we agree on how one comes to follow Christ. Last night's message and worship time was an experience I will never forget. Jeff Walling offered a marvelous lesson on God's grace. He then invited Dave Stone, the preaching minister for one of America's largest churches, Southeastern Christian Church, to the stage. Through tear filled eyes Jeff read the dedication page of his Bible - it was given to him by his mother in memory of his deceased father. He offered that Bible to Dave Stone as a symbol of brotherhood - of being part of the same Family of God. Then both Dave and Jeff called two of their mentors and heroes to the stage. I don't remember the names of everyone called. Marvin Phillips and Alan Dunbar exchanged Bibles. Presidents of four Christian Colleges - two from each fellowship - exchanged Bibles. The two leaders of the worship teams exchanged Bibles as well. All in the audience who were in agreement with this expression of brotherhood stood, united in the intent to tear down walls of division and know that God's Family has been divided far too long. We ended the evening by singing The Lord's Prayer together. I wasn't anywhere near my friend Mike when all of this was happening, but I called him on his cell phone after it was over and expressed my love and appreciation for him. We are brothers, no doubt. Born of water and spirit into God's big Family, we both preach the same saving message of the gospel. I know that not everyone is comfortable with this recognition, but comfort is not the goal. Acceptance of brothers is the goal. Putting down or picking up instruments is not even in the discussion - it's been in the way for so long. I have heard several Christian Church brothers say that they hope the churches of Christ never start using the instrument ... the vocal music we produce is beautiful. At the NACC there were acappella selections in the mix of music ... expressions of love and acceptance from the Christian Church towards their Church of Christ siblings. It is my opinion that most people in the pew are accepting of this recognition of brotherhood. I think it is the preachers who have continued to keep the fires burning on these issues. Some have been kind, some have been unkind. We've probably all been unkind at one time or another as we have tried to grapple with the history we have inherited. This is not a discussion about who worships in the most correct form. It is truly a discussion of the most basic part of our faith. Do we believe that God saves sinners when in faith they repent and are baptized? Do we believe that God continues to save sinners as they live for him and honor him in their lives? Do we believe that God will save all his children, who by virtue of His grace have been born again into the Family of God and kept in His favor? I've never really ever known anyone from the Christian Church, until I met Mike. In a post-Katrina world, I have met hundreds of them. I have talked with them about their churches back home. I have had them pray for me and I for them. I have heard them preach the Gospel passionately. I was glad to attend this convention. I am happier, though, to realize the beauty of our wonderful brotherhood. Note: I have several pictures up on my picture page. Note: The Christian Chronicle has posted a story on the NACC. Below: Mike and Me at the North American Christian Convention