Out Here Hope Remains

There is hope for the helpless ... Cry Out To Jesus. -- Third Day

Saturday, June 10, 2006

Return to the Coast

We had a great supper at Johnny and Carol's home Friday night. Johnny and I got to have a long conversation. Johnny and I were friends long before he was my brother-in-law. He reminded me that he was part of the moving crew that brought me from Ruleville to Cleveland so many years ago. He really liked my description of the people we knew as "characters". We decided that every church and every family has a lot of characters, which keeps things interesting. Johnny and Carol's lives were changed dramatically when a drunk driver with no drivers license ran into Johnny while he was on his motorcycle. In all of their struggles, though, I have seen nothing but faith and determination. I'm sure they have had their moments, but they do like all great people do, they keep going. I love Robert Schuller's book, Tough Times Never Last, But Tough People Do. Dr. Schuller should meet Johnny and Carol Moore. They also read this blog every day, which gives me a great opportunity to honor them and let them know how much I love them. Family reunions offer so many opportunities to catch up. I have about 60 pictures on my pictures page (link on the right). Many of the people at this reunion are folks I only see once a year. I didn't grow up with all of them, so it takes me a while to figure out who everyone is. It's a great bunch of people. I found out that there are others in the family who are reading the blog daily, which encourages me and I'm thankful. Dick and Ollie Sue Willingham are my wife's parents, and they love me, but they do not read the blog (except occasionally when they are at Johnny and Carol's). I enjoyed our visit to their home and hope to visit again soon. I think it has been Thanksgiving since I was there. That's too long. I also need to get over to visit my mother very soon, she reminded me today that I need to give her a weekend. I agree. It's been too long. I know that every family in this busy generation struggles with visiting their parents and children - but it's important. Tomorrow I'm off to Gulf Coast Bible Camp for our yearly week out there. I have a great staff and am looking forward to a great week. I will not be posting for the rest of the week, unless I sneak away for a short time to come home. If I do that, you know I'll have to post to tell you how things are going. In the mean time, we will have upwards of 150 workers here at Central. Thankfully, the "M & Ms" will arrive back in town this week. Margo and Mary were here before, and they're coming back to cook. Good timing! Margo reads this blog as well, and I appreciate the many notes of encouragement she has e-mailed along the way. This coming Wednesday night Central will have a special treat as Dusty Rush will speak. Dusty is minister for the University Church of Christ in Conway, AR. This church has been one of our major support systems during the crisis. They will conduct services for us and I know they will be awesome. Dusty's dad will also preach later this month. If I have time, I will post the Sunday sermon on the Pod-o-matic page (link to the right). I had time last week, but I wasn't as pleased with the sermon as I wanted to be, so I declined to post it. Now... do you think I am going to post on this early Sunday morning without mentioning Tropical Depression One ... which will soon be Tropical Storm Alberto? Well, there's the mention. What can I say? It's going to be a long summer.