Out Here Hope Remains

There is hope for the helpless ... Cry Out To Jesus. -- Third Day

Friday, June 09, 2006

From The Mississippi Delta

Photobucket - Video and Image HostingRuleville, Mississippi is the kind of place you never have a reason to visit unless you know someone who lives there. That's why I'm here. It is the place where I spent two years in my first full-time ministry work. I think God will give them extra grace for what they endured under my youthful tenure. This is the place where I first met Margaret and Nicole, a beautiful young single lady and her daughter who comprised the youngest people at the Ruleville Church of Christ. It would be a few years before our eyes would catch each other's in a different, more romantic way. The Ruleville church was full of characters. As David Kilbern describes it, people with "dynamic personalities". That's not a negative description, by the way...just the truth...and a delightful truth at that. Every small town in America has churches full of characters, and they are much more interesting than anything you see on television. I am blessed with wonderful in-laws. The Willinghams adopted me as a son from the beginning. I have always felt welcome in their home. I'm sitting at my in-law's dining room table at this moment. My internet connection is leeched from the doctor across the street who, thankfully, has an unsecured wireless connection. He's a friend of the family so he won't mind, I'm sure. The Willinghams (my in-laws) are in the process of painting the kitchen and everyone's doing something but dad and me. Margaret's dad can't paint because of his dizziness ... I can't paint because I can't paint. Margaret's brother, Dickie, is directing the effort. Chad, our nephew, is removing cabinet doors and working on those. Ollie, Margaret's mother, is up on a chair painting (is this a good idea? Dickie told her to get down!). Even Margaret is painting ... I'll have to get her to do that at our house! I think I will make myself useful by getting lunch. That I can do. Photobucket - Video and Image HostingWe are scheduled to have supper with Johnny and Carol Moore (Margaret's sister and husband) tonight in Cleveland. Tomorrow is the Chandler family reunion (Margaret's mother's side of the family), and then we will head home after lunch. It's ok to wake up now. Back home in Pascagoula work crews are heading home today and tomorrow, and then new crews will come in. Next week will be especially heavy with up to 150 workers. It is thrilling to see the work progress and continue. I am just amazed that people are still coming! God is so good and His Family is so awesome! Before we go, please keep my friend Ben Overby in your prayers. If you don't know what he's been doing at Fort Benning the past few years, you have missed out on some news about real ministry. The chaplain at the base has now discontinued Ben's ministry there and he must find a new ministry job soon. He has a great family and I recommend him highly. You can read some about it HERE. Ben stands unique in many ways in our brotherhood ... he is a treasure house of spiritual knowledge and I hope some church will adopt him soon either as minister or in some other capacity. Ben's blog is located HERE.