Out Here Hope Remains

There is hope for the helpless ... Cry Out To Jesus. -- Third Day

Sunday, June 04, 2006

From Alabama to Mississippi

This morning we began our day with the family of God that worships at the Pleasure Island Church of Christ in Gulf Shores, Alabama. This interesting church is host to an enormous number of visitors each Sunday, because of the vacation setting in which they live. I spoke during the morning class time on the work in Pascagoula. During the worship hour I spoke from Luke 17 about the ten lepers. I enjoyed seeing many faces of people who had been over to help us during the early days right after the storm. A group from this church video taped our home and showed it to the congregation. They have offered us a great deal of support and we are so appreciative. It was great to say "thank you". As an unexpected bonus we ran into old friends there. Toby Hunter and his wife from Belle Chase, LA were there. The Belle Chase church is still meeting, although there are only a few of them at this point. I also saw Allison Jordan and her friend John. I regretted that members Jim and Melody Davis and kids, and Brian and Angel Lamar were at other locations. Maybe I'll catch them on another visit. I did enjoy seeing John Ash and his wife. John serves as one of the elders of the church there. Also Buster Herron and his wife Barbara were there. Buster also serves as an elder of this church. Frank Hughes led energetic singing during worship. Frank has been over to Pascagoula several times and has always been an encourager. He didn't even make fun of me when I accidentally called him "Jack" from the pulpit. I'm not good with names these days! We enjoyed lunch at The Oyster House with our hosts to the right. That's Buster and Barbara Herren with granddauther Katherine, then Monte and Carl Shellenberger. We enjoyed a great meal and great company. Barbara and Monte are very involved in helping the hurricane relief work at Bayou LaBatre. One of the unique features of the Pleasure Island Church of Christ building is the murals that line the hallway of the education wing. Someone with real talent painted these murals depicting Bible stories. What a great way to implant the truth of the gospel in young minds. Mark Jamieson is the minister of this congregation, and Eric Gray is the youth minister. Both are doing an outstanding work. This morning at Central Ron Webb was the preacher. Ron has for many years willingly served the congregations of our area as a fill-in preacher. He preaches a positive and truthful message with great conviction and humor. I hear he had some things to say about me today. I'll have to investigate further. Ron is beloved by Christians in every congregation on this Coast. Church leaders would be remiss to pass up an opportunity to have Ron address the congregation. He has served as a deacon at Central in the past. Ron's health is not as good as he would like it to be, but he continues to serve when he can. His wife Kathy is a friend of many and has a great Home Interiors business. If you are within driving distance of Pascagoula and need a preacher, I can put you in touch with Ron and I will promise you that your church will be blessed. He has performed the weddings of many people, and eulogized the deceased both in and out of the church. Ron has been a friend since the first day we arrived in Pascagoula. That doesn't mean that Ron agrees with everything I think (an endorsement by me is not a favorable thing in some places!), but in expressing himself you can expect kindness and the love of Jesus Christ. We arrived back in Pascagoula this afternoon. For more than nine months my personal library has been in a big stack piled upstairs where I cannot get to it. Tomorrow, Lord willing, we will begin moving them downstairs and into the church office. On a personal note, I'll give you a report on my leg tomorrow. Things are not what I wish they were at this point.