Out Here Hope Remains

There is hope for the helpless ... Cry Out To Jesus. -- Third Day

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Take Time for Now

I enjoyed the morning with Chris Lockhart, Trent Bryant, and Steve Martin as we planned out the week of Bible Camp that is coming up. We are a bit short on some kitchen help, and would love to have an older lady or two on board. I'm not sure we have a nurse secured at this point (we will have a nurse on staff - but in a cabin). I would like to have a couple of older men to attend. I think older people are great at camp, and add a mix that is often missed when we fill up with younger counselors. We ate lunch together and then I took Chris to the Tat-O-Nut Shop for potato flour donuts. I have a picture with him in front of the shop, if we need evidence. This afternoon I helped make some phone calls to give couches and chairs away - the ones that are coming in tomorrow. We need some muscle badly tomorrow ... and I sent out a big e-mail request. I haven't heard much in reply as of yet, though. We only have one youth group here now. I think over the next several days we have some trucks to unload and not as much manpower as we would like. This happens, though. I like to let it be known - there might be someone waiting for a good time to show up to help. Now is good. I had a delightful visit with Brooke and Twila Michael tonight. They came over to the house to talk about some things on their hearts. What a wonderful couple. They love the Lord and want to help people know how to put their trust in Him so that they can experience freedom from addictions, failures, regrets, and traumatic events. I think they are going to bless a lot of people here on the Coast over the next several months. The following comes from a Doctor - a friend of a friend of a friend. Really. I think he captures the mental state of people on the Coast, and our need to seek out ways to help and bless those closest to us. There is much wisdom in this. Thanks for forwarding it to me, Fred. Well I don't write many emails, but I decided to pen this note to several of you guys in my address book and hope you forward it to any one you like. It seems those of us here on the Gulf Coast are entering a critical period of time in our lives. As some of us fold up our blue roof tarps, drag our last piece of storm debris to the curb, or remove the last piece of plywood from the windows, others of us are watching the last remnants of our homes bulldozed into a pile of rubble, even the foundations are being crushed and removed. Some of us are playing phone tag with FEMA, SBA, MEMA, Allstate, State Farm, Nationwide, Farm Bureau, and all the other letters of the alphabet. Still others are living with relatives, living in trailers, living out of town, even living in tents. Some lucky ones are dealing with contractors with new construction, sheetrock, electrical, carpet, cabinets, furniture deliveries, either one at a time or all at once. All this is taking place while life goes on all around us. Football season came and went. Basketball season came and is going. Baseball season is in full swing. Hockey came and is dwindling. School happened for our kids. Graduation happened for some. Births and deaths continued. But in the background one looming thought occupied our minds no matter what else was going on---June 1--the beginning of another Hurricane Season. I have written more prescriptions for anti-depressants, anxiolytics, sedatives, and hypnotics in the last several weeks than at any other time in my career. I have hugged more, cried more, laughed more, and I am sorry to say LISTENED more, than at any other time in my career. All this is reaching a fever pitch now that we are approaching another season that promises to be as active as the previous.one. This brings me to the point of why I am writing this letter. I have used more cliches in the last several days also but none more than "take one day at a time". If possible take one minute at a time. Before anyone makes a decision that will affect your life and the lives of your family Stop. Breathe. Pray. Ask a friend for help. There is nothing too small to ask for. There is nothing too trivial to ask for. No Real Friend is too busy to help. Take a day off to spend with your family. Go somewhere that is Normal. Take your kids to a park, a movie. Don't discuss the past or even the future, but discuss the PRESENT. The past is gone and to continue to dwell in it the way some people are doing is not healthy. The future is going to happen. Preparation is appropriate,but not everyday. Today is a gift from God and that is why it is called the PRESENT. Talk to your spouse, find out if he/she needs to talk. Then talk. Talk to your pastor/priest. Talk to your doctor. Talk to anybody that will listen and you have confidence in--but talk. Please don't seek solice or respite in a harmful chemical substance that only wears off and has to be replenished regularly. There are obviously some who will need meds and this can be arranged also. Volunteer to help your neighbors, learn who your neighbors are. Get back to your normal activities, hobbies, recreational/exercise routines. Learn new habits or routines. Read a book, maybe even the Bible. Don't forget your health. Get back into your regular checkups. Don't be neglectful of even small things or they will get bigger. Look around and appreciate the beauty of spring and notice all the new things that are appearing. Please don't forget to thank all the volunteers in the area. I know I have rambled. I realize I have spoken in short and broken sentences. But let's face it doctors can't write anyway. If I can be of help to any of you let me know. Love you all. (signature omitted for confidentiality)