Out Here Hope Remains

There is hope for the helpless ... Cry Out To Jesus. -- Third Day

Saturday, July 22, 2006

Across the Coast and Back and then Back Again!

This late night blogging has evolved into an early morning blogging now! I've got to reverse the trend. It's been a long day - but a great day. The first really important thing I did was drive to Gulfport to pick up a crew of workers from Hillside Christian Church in Pennsylvania. This little church has done big things for us over the past months. One of the sisters in the church told me today that we have met most of their church. Incredible! When I got home, I jumped in my van and drove to Bay St. Louis. There I visited with Carla Calhoun, Charlie Buckley, and Bobby Ross. Johnny Hayes, who runs Picayune's relief effort, had just left. He had given Carla and Bobby a view of their work in Poplarville. It is always good to see Charlie. He has the heart of an evangelist, he is dedicated to the bone, and he is full of the love of God. Charlie would never hesitate to tell me if he disagreed with me on some matter we were discussing...but he would never cease to love me as we searched the Scriptures together. After a drive through some Bay St. Louis neighborhoods, Carla went her own way, and Bobby and I went to Biloxi. There were severe storms in the area today. We saw four cars that had hydroplaned off of the road. When we got to Biloxi I called a member of the Division Street church of Christ to come and meet us, and he was willing. He brought their disaster relief coordinator with him, brother Tony. I am so terrible with names...I will tell you more about this church and get the names right at that time. This church is in need of significant help with skilled workers to get them moved ahead. Tony reported that there are still Biloxi residents living in tents. The church members and the church building are still in disrepair. They mostly need funding for warehousing. They cannot receive supplies because they have no where to place them. It was an encouraging visit, as these brothers were loving their community through service, just as Christians should. Bobby had an offer to stay in Ocean Springs, where he will worship tomorrow, but it got very late and the weather deteriorated. He decided to stay at Central. So he accompanied me on the next leg of my trip! Another group was flying in from Pennsylvania, but this group was coming into Mobile, Alabama. So Bobby Ross and I drove over to the airport. It seems the group never got out of Pittsburgh due to a problem with the plane. So they will arrive tomorrow (Sunday). One of their crew, however, flew through Atlanta, and he arrived tonight. His flight was delayed for an hour and Bobby had not eaten all day, so we went to Chili's and enjoyed a meal together. Doug arrived on time, and we brought him back to Pascagoula with us. I enjoyed every minute of today, and look forward to a busy day tomorrow.