Out Here Hope Remains

There is hope for the helpless ... Cry Out To Jesus. -- Third Day

Monday, July 17, 2006

Monday Morning From Tennessee

We had a good Sunday at Central with some new community visitors. Shane Ellett and his group from Springfield, Ohio were able to be with us. We presented the names of four men to the congregation to serve as potential elders. Please be in prayer along with us as we re-establish our eldership at Central. I will update you on that in a few weeks. After lunch we joined up with the Ocean Springs Church of Christ youth group for a big trip to Tennessee. Trent Bryant is the youth minister at Ocean Springs. He has mapped out a great trip for the teenagers. We arrived at Big Frog Expeditions around midnight last night. After helping get all the gear out of the bus and making sure all the kids were accounted for, Margaret and I headed back to Cleveland, TN, where we will be staying for a few days. Outside of our hotel window this morning I enjoyed a misty mountain view. We are to meet the kids for supper tonight, and then pick them up Wednesday morning for then next leg of our trip. Keep us all in your prayers - these teens are not used to white water rafting, mountain biking, hiking and such! We are surrounded by friends in this area. Ross Jordan is in Dalton, Georgia. Rod Tate is in Chatsworth, Georgia. My old friend David Mellor is in Chatanooga, and I haven't talked to him in ages. Tim Gunnells recently moved to Athens, Tennessee. I do not think I know anyone in Cleveland, but my friend Richard May used to preach here. We had an uneventful and safe journey here. As we traveled through Alabama up Interstate 65, I was continually reminded of the grace we are receiving from people all over the country. Vans, busses, trucks towing trailers ... all emblazoned with the names of various faith groups that are heading south. Only God knows how many believers have come to help the Coast, and how much they have sacrificed to do so. Amazing! Ninteen years ago my life was in a confusing flurry. The old Highway 8 church building in Cleveland, Mississippi was being decorated. Food was being prepared by friends Donna Meadows and Carolyn Harrison for a dinner that night. Friends Gary Kirkendall, Danny Dodd, and my brother Gary Dobbs were making their way to town to stand by my side. Minister Eddie Lewis had his part all prepared. My soon to be nephew, Chad Givens, was plotting how he would get live crickets into my car the next day while I was distracted. And a thousand other details were being attended to in order to prepare for a wedding. Tomorrow Maggy and I will be reflecting on that time nineteen years ago when the doors to the sanctuary opened up and she walked down the aisle with her father at her side. Back home on the Coast Shane Ellett's group continues to work. David Kibler arrived last night with his group from Lexington, Kentucky. David will speak in my place Wednesday night. I wish I could be there to hear that, he does such an excellent job. Trevor Cox from Altus, Oklahoma should arrive today with his group. Tomorrow Jeff Shocklee and crew from Southaven will arrive. I pray for all of these groups safe journeys and great ministry opportunities as they come to the Coast. I did not know until this morning, but the Hillsboro Church of Christ has a portion of my message there up on their website. You can read it HERE. Thanks for reading and I hope each of you has a wonderful week.