Out Here Hope Remains

There is hope for the helpless ... Cry Out To Jesus. -- Third Day

Saturday, July 01, 2006

Back To Tennessee and Then to Mississippi

Yesterday we spent some time just relaxing. Driving around Louisville is not for the faint of heart! For example, yesterday we wanted to see some movies. So I located a theater, did a mapquest, got directions, and we headed out. In about 45 minutes we were back downtown, never saw the theater, and went back to the room to regroup and start over! The lady at the front desk told us about a new theater across the river in Illinois. So I guess if you live in Louisville you have to go to Illinois to watch a movie! We found that place easily and thankfully! The first movie we watched was SUPERMAN RETURNS. It runs long, at 2 hrs and 40 minutes. I thought it was good. Not great, but good. I did nod off during a very quiet slow scene. We also say THE LAKE HOUSE which my wife loved and I did not like at all. It was very postmodern, metaphysical, and impossible. Of course so was Superman, but I didn't mind those things in that movie. The next movie I want to see is THE PRAIRIE HOME COMPANION. I'll let you know how that one is if I ever get to it. This week I finished reading CHANGING THE WORLD THROUGH KINDNESS by Steve Sjogren. Although there are some things (as in every book) that I would toss out, most of it is excellent. So much so that I bought his first book, CONSPIRACY OF KINDNESS from the College Press booth here at the NACC. I have now started George Barna's REVOLUTION. I recently finished Ben Brewster's little book called TORN ASUNDER. I was happy to meet him here this week at the NACC. Ben has done a great job with describing the circumstances leading to division in our brotherhood during the Civil War. College Press has picked up this book and I'm sure they will be advertising it soon. Last night in the hotel lobby we ran into Fred Franke of Operation Nehemiah, New Orleans. We had a long talk and I really enjoyed that. Fred is an elder of the Carrolton Avenue Church of Christ in New Orleans. They have put together an exceptional DVD of their work that I really enjoyed. Our next move is to get everything packed up and head to Nashville to stay with our friends Robert and Lynda Lingle. Robert was one of the elders that hired me when I came to Pascagoula over 14 years ago. They both offered friendship and leadership, advice and love when it was most needed. I think of Robert as a father in the faith, and I look forward to spending an evening with them. We will attend a concert at their church tonight, and then attend worship tomorrow morning with them at the Fourth Avenue Church of Christ in Franklin, TN. The Lingles are not too big on technology, so I will not have internet access again until late Sunday night or Monday. Pray for our safe journey home. God has led us in so many wonderful ways on this extended trip. We have met some outstanding people, made some excellent contacts, and been able to find some additional resources for the work back home. In the meantime at Central, Will Collins will speak in my place Sunday morning. He will do an excellent job, I'm sure. This week is a rest week, as we have no volunteers from out of town for the week. This will be a needed time of refreshment and rest for our folks who need to take a breather. I'm looking forward to sleeping in my own bed and being back in Pascagoula. Even though our city has its struggles, Pascagoula is home. God bless you and help you with the things going on in your world. Thank you for being interested enough in my world to stop by and say hello. I appreciate the kind comments made by many of you! Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting