Out Here Hope Remains

There is hope for the helpless ... Cry Out To Jesus. -- Third Day

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

I'm Floored

About two weeks after the storm a group of workers from Chatsworth, Georgia came down and did a lot of the heavy duty tree cutting and gutting type work. They were led by their preacher, Rod Tate. My wife and I both have old ties with Rod. Although I arrived at Magnolia Bible College after he had already moved away, he was the first president of that institution. My wife remembers hearing Rod preach in gospel meetings in the delta of Mississippi. Rod also knows a lot of the same people we know. Also, Rod preached at the church where my brother attends, a long time ago. So, while I was no stranger to Rod, we had not had much chance to get to know one another personally. So, about two weeks after the storm while helping in our home and in the homes of others, Rod looked at me and said, "when you get ready for carpet, call me." At that moment, while pulling wet filthy stinking carpet out of my home, I never wanted to see carpet again. Things developed in our recovery and we were ready to look at floors. Maggy and I picked out some interlocking wood laminate flooring in a cherry color. So, I emailed Rod and reminded him of his statement. He told me he would get it donated or raise the money for it himself. This morning Rod and a brother Silvers delivered the materials to cover the floor in my entire house. This really is a dream come true for us. I cannot tell you how happy I am. Not only that, but there is a brother who will come over in the morning and help us get started with the flooring. This is a MAJOR step toward getting back in our home for good. I know I run the risk of creating envy, or sounding like I'm 'tooting my horn' when I share these kinds of things with people. I really do want to give all of the credit to God and I just trust that you can rejoice with me in these matter. There really is no end to the blessings that have come our way from God during this storm. We have also tried to be a blessing to others as well. This afternoon I was able to visit with Keith Wood from www.ides.org . He is a neat guy and someone who gets things done. With his help, we will have twenty-five sheet-rockers from Pennsylvania in the middle of January. That is great news! Also today my friends Danny Dodd and Chris Lockhart came to spend the day with me. During the morning we mostly visited with Keith, took a tour of our operation, and answered questions. In the afternoon, however, we spent several hours unloading an 18 wheeler of supplies that were turned away from another church. It took a long time, but we enjoyed working together. Tonight I had a meeting with several preachers and two elders from the White's Ferry Road Church of Christ in West Monroe, Louisiana. They wanted to talk to us about help they could offer from their emergency fund. It was great to visit with several friends and enjoy long coversation. So long that I didn't get home until 11:30. I need to go to bed ... got a long day tomorrow. Thanks for reading! Below: Chris Lockhart and Danny Dodd help unload a truck.