Out Here Hope Remains

There is hope for the helpless ... Cry Out To Jesus. -- Third Day

Saturday, December 03, 2005

A Little Child Will Lead Them

"I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven." (Matthew 18:3-4) The letter was in an envelope marked, "For The Children." It was taped to a box we received in a shipment of supplies this week. The letter reads as follows: "Hi, my name is Olivia. I'm sorry that your homes got destroyed. I'm eight years old. I turned eight on October 20th. That's when I gave you your gifts. Happy holiday, Merry Christmas, for one and for all." The compassion of a child for those who are hurting is a good place to start when we want to see the heart of Christ. The children who seem so preoccupied and live in their own worlds while they play are actually very attentive to the pain around them. They want to heal and calm and comfort. Someone from a church somewhere brought in a box of gifts from a third grade class today. They each have notes expressing sorrow for what is lost, and they each have a toy. Cindy came in with her family today. She asked the questions. She pointed the way. She translated our English to her Hispanic parents. She is nine years old. Because she speaks English and Spanish fluently, she is the key to her parent's survival in America. It was Cindy who filled out the forms requesting help. It was Cindy who told her family that we had coats for them. It was Cindy that told them that we would try to get some Christmas gifts for thier family. Cindy, to me, is a hero. But I'm sure that in her world she is only doing what comes naturally: caring, calming, helping, and blessing her family. Today we've been especially mindful of the children of the Coast. "The wolf will live with the lamb, the leopard will lie down with the goat, the calf and the lion and the yearling together; and a little child will lead them."(Isaiah 11:6) On a personal note, we now have scheduled to have heat and air replaced next weekend. I'll tell you more about that later. Also, there are some really big things being planned for Christmas on the Coast by some churches in Nashville. I'll tell you more about that later, also. Donna said some extra nice things about me at GRACENOTES. Thanks, Donna. If only I could be what you described. Still, my soul was blessed by your words. Below: Cindy and her family with the coats they picked out at our church today.