Out Here Hope Remains

There is hope for the helpless ... Cry Out To Jesus. -- Third Day

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

View from the Chair

Well, the view from my chair hasn't changed much. Work continues on at Central...without my help! I did have a delightful visit today from Chris Lockhart, who was in town to speak to the college students tonight. I think things are going well with the group headed up by Seth Simmons from University Church of Christ in Conway, AR. Randy and crew headed back this morning for North Carolina. I enjoyed meeting him. I talked on the phone today with my friend Tex Nolan from Monroe. He called to ask about my leg. It is always a joy to talk to Tex, and I look forward to seeing him next week. We have some new work going on around the church building. These are some first stages to getting the building back in shape. I'm thankful to everyone who is helping with this effort. International Disaster Emergency Services told us several months ago that they would make a significant gift toward refurbishing the church building. They have done what they said they would do, and we are thankful. I may give more details on that later. I feel that I ought to share that news with the church first, but just rejoice with us. The needs are not over, but a big step has been taken toward renewing our building. I hope the church offices will be operational again very soon, which will be a huge help. David Kilbern said from the beginning that we were facing two-three years to rebuild Pascagoula. From all indications, he is right. There is a lot of progress here, but there is still much to do. It is great to have the work crews come down. Often they will leave a donation to help cover the cost of food or supplies. I think most of the workers in the past few days have been delivering beds to those who are moving back into their homes. I know they've been toting sheetrock some as well. Mrs. Redding is in her 80s and has come here from Vermont to volunteer. She works at a school for disadvantaged and troubled children. She is here as an emissary to witness first hand the work going on. She will report back to the students and school when she gets home. She is an awesome lady. You don't see too many elderly ladies helping to tote sheetrock! And now we have a giant pile of papers. Each paper represents a home that received sheetrock, or an appliance, or a bed, or some other help. These people need someone to knock on their door with the good news of Jesus Christ. I have appealed often on this blog for ministers to come down and help to reach these people. Early on some came, and we ended up doing other kinds of work. I think the timing was off. Now I think we could easily start touching these families with the Gospel. They need to hear the good news of Jesus. Will anyone come to help with this kind of 'relief' - relief from guilt and sin? Maybe you're not a preacher, just a soul winner! Come on over! These are some of the best potentials for teaching you will ever have. Call me or e-me about it if you are interested. I'd love to have a team of 10 or even 20 ministers working in this community. Why not band together with the other ministers in your community and come down? I will have a plan in place when you get here. That is, when I get out of this chair. Prayers for my step dad are solicited. He is in the hospital with a collapsed lung, ephesema, and maybe some other problems. Pray for my mother, also. First, because she is my mother. Second, because this puts a lot of stress on her. Third, because she reads this blog! (Love you, Mom!) I hope you're having a good week and thank you for reading.