Out Here Hope Remains

There is hope for the helpless ... Cry Out To Jesus. -- Third Day

Thursday, May 18, 2006

What Sort of Man is This?

How well do you know Jesus? That really is a question that ought to stay close to our hearts. I don't know about you, but even reading the familiar stories about Jesus I am sometimes surprised at things I notice about Him. After Jesus calmed the storm, the disciples asked, "What sort of man is this, that even winds and sea obey him?" At this point the disciples had not spent a great deal of time with Jesus, but it is still a great question. What sort of man is this? We must answer that question so that we can ask, "What sort of man am I to be?" or "What sort of woman am I to be?" All of our actions ought to pass through this filter. We usually act too quickly to consider this important question ... but I would encourage us all to ask it often. Well, that's what's been on my mind in the chair today. The leg is a little better each day I suppose, but it's not setting any records. My stepdad remains in the hospital. That's the sickness update. I did receive a call today from Cheryl. I have written about her before. She lives in a FEMA camper. We first met her through her mother in Arizona, who called to ask us to go and see about her. The first week some wonderful ladies from Missouri visited her every day. They still keep in touch with her. Cheryl has emphysema, pneumonia, and cancer. She just got out of the hospital. The chemotherapy she endured a few months ago robbed her body of any strength she has left. With a few months to live, hospice is coming in to assist. She called today to say that she really needs a friend right now. She really just wants to talk to someone. I told her I couldn't come now, but I would try to get someone over there. She had moved from one camper to another and we didn't know where she was. Now we do. Cheryl is one of many Katrina victims who will never know what it's like to live inside a real house again. Her father in Arizona is dying of cancer at the same time. Both are unable to travel to see the other. This breaks Cheryl's heart...and mine. Today I did have a visitor ... Diane Carroll, Secretary for the Vice President for Academic Affairs at the University of Science & Arts of Oklahoma. I had talked with Diane on the phone, and it was just delightful to meet her in person, along with one of the students. This is their second trip down to the Coast. Diane's parents live in the St. Andrews area. An article about their first visit here can be found HERE. There are 9 or 10 in the group and they will be headed back to Oklahoma overnight tonight. We appreciate the work they did so much. Also the college group that Seth Simmons is leading will head back home tomorrow. I have talked with Seth on the phone but haven't had a chance to get to see him this trip. He's been busy with all of the work to be done here on the Coast. They will head back tomorrow. Kirt Hunt was able to come by to see me for a while today. I enjoyed seeing him so much. I have known Kirt for most of his life and I am so impressed with the spiritual focus for his life. He is the Youth Minister for the Lee Acres Church of Christ in Tupelo, Mississippi. Well, you American Idol fans, we've been shocked the past two weeks (or I was anyway) by who was voted off. So who are you hoping will win the contest? The brassy sounding Katherine McPhee or the spasmodic Taylor Hicks? With over 5 million votes this week, there are lots of people watching for sure.