Out Here Hope Remains

There is hope for the helpless ... Cry Out To Jesus. -- Third Day

Thursday, March 17, 2005

Complexities

We have purchased a wireless router / network for our church office. That's a simple purchase, but it is not such a simple installation! I spent most of yesterday afternoon on the phone with technical support persons. I talked with several of them, in fact. I think a few of them were in India. They asked me different questions and seemed to have different approaches to solve the problem. The problem? Oh, well the router doesn't work. I thought you would have assumed that. I assumed it wouldn't work before I took it out of the box. Things like this never work for me. Not only that, but I was caught between dueling tech support people. My ISP tech support is not authorized to help me set up the router. They can only help keep me on line. The D-Link people could not get me back on line, they can only help me with the router. Instructions from one seemed to confound the other! My ISP tech support guy was amazed at the questions the D-Link people were asking. He said that these things were basic and they should know them. By then my phone was going dead. Me? I'm just a simple preacher who wants internet access for my e-life, and I would like for my secretary to have access and I bought a product that makes this ... simple. Well, it's not working yet. It doesn't seem so simple to me. Complexities. My life gets complex. Sometimes I feel alone because my problems are not 'one-size-fits-all'. I have weird problems. I have written about recent dental visits. It seems that the dentist has given up and the tooth has to be pulled. The two dentists I was seeing have both declined to pull the tooth because the abcess is too near the sinus cavity for their comfort. The endodontist told me I was the one they read about in textbooks but seldom see. Thanks. So I've got to see dentist #3 - an oral surgeon. Dentist = $. Endodontist = $$. Oral Surgeon? My guess is $$$$$$. I'm thinking about the string-and-doorknob approach. But it isn't that simple. How am I supposed to quiet my soul with all of these complexities? Do I actually have time to be led beside the still waters? Lord, if you prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies, can I get mine in a go-box? I dont' think I'm going to have time to sit down for a meal. I want to dwell in the house of the Lord forever, but is there wireless internet access? And if not ... can someone else be in charge of getting that hooked up?