Out Here Hope Remains

There is hope for the helpless ... Cry Out To Jesus. -- Third Day

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Agenda

One of our sayings is "we do not set the agenda for the day, the day sets our agenda." And so it was today. I started the day at the building meeting Robert and Patricia. They were found a few days ago by David Baker (another David here working with us). They were living in the back of an abandoned eighteen wheeler. I was asked to interview them and get some details. When I walked into the room Robert was sitting in a chair. His long hair was knotted up, he wore oversized clothes and had a distinct odor. Patricia was wrapped up and lying down on a bed, but she woke up enough to answer some questions. It didn't take long to know that these two forgotten souls were mentally challenged. I spent about thirty minutes with them trying to discover some information that let us be of help to them. They have not received their SSI checks since the storm ... and apparently both of them believe they are being watched. We did manage to get them to agree to take a shower and we hope someone will be coming along tomorrow to get them to someplace that can offer them the kind of help they need. It really is a heartbreaking sight. I did get to Lowes to buy some underlayment for the flooring that (Lord willing) will begin to be laid tomorrow. Today was just too hectic to get that done. I want to get our kitchen done first so we can put in our stove and refrigerator. But again, I've learned not to assume that what I want to happen tomorrow will actually happen. This afternoon I met with some brothers from Pennsylvania who are doing some work in Slidell, LA. They want to come back and help us in January. It was a joy to meet them. I also met a youth minister from Kentucky who wants to bring some teens and adults to do work in April. God keeps sending people our way. Blessings to all!