Out Here Hope Remains

There is hope for the helpless ... Cry Out To Jesus. -- Third Day

Thursday, January 19, 2006

Wild Day

It was a most interesting day today. I spent the morning at the front desk, which is always chaos. I do not handle this well, but I did my best. After lunch my friends Paul and Glenda Franks came by for a drop in visit on their way to Pensacola. They have had to deal with the aftermath of Hurricane Rita in Lake Charles, where Paul preaches for the Enterprise Blvd. Church of Christ.

We rode around looking at the damaged homes. As we rounded a curve, there was a red tourbus with the big word ACAPPELLA on it! Of course Paul had to stop and inquire where Keith Lancaster was. Turns out this guy bought the bus from them and is living in it.

I met up with the Pennsylvania workers for their evening devotional just before supper. The brother who led the devotional called for a time of sentence prayers. We all bowed and different ones from the group spoke aloud a sentence or two from their heart. It was very touching as they thanked God for the opportunity to serve us and for our church...and many other things. Afterward we dismissed for supper. At supper David Baker pointed me to a cooler where there were three very unusual drinks. Liquid Cereal it's called. It says it's made with REAL cereal. Hmmm.... We laughed about it, but David decided he had to try it. I think this is a terribly bad idea, but the humor of it causes me to remain silent in my horror. David Drank. David poured into sink - there really is cereal in it. gulp. I didn't try any of it because there was none representing the world's greatest cereal. Care to take a guess? Another interesting thing today were some e-mails and phone calls with Carla Calhoun. I hope to have pictures and more about her next week. Suffice it to say that I will be attending the lectures at Oklahoma Christian University (where I hope to meet Bobby Ross, managing editor of The Christian Chronicle. Also, Carla Calhoun, who works as a liason between government and faith-based organizations.) Carla has given me 15 minutes to speak about being a hurricane victim on a Tuesday night class. I will fly out Sunday afternoon, and back on Wednesday afternoon. I hope to meet any readers out that way!