Out Here Hope Remains

There is hope for the helpless ... Cry Out To Jesus. -- Third Day

Saturday, February 11, 2006

Breaking Away

I spent most of Saturday morning getting ready for Sunday morning. I also had that nerve ending test during the morning time. By the time I got to the building, ran off the bulletin, did a few other things, it was time to go to Mobile. Fourteen teenagers and hurricane relief workers headed over to the Mitchell Center at University of South Alabama for WINTERJAM. It was one of those things that was fun to breakaway and do, but mostly aimed at a younger audience than I offer! As an unexpected pleasure my dear friends Bill and Sabrina Collins (Gulfport) were there. Sitting by them was former Coast resident and friend David White. David has been instrumental in helping organize much hurricane relief work via Brentwood Hills church in Nashville. I saw Eric Petty (Gateway church of Christ, Pensacola) down the same aisle, but by then I couldn't hear! Like I said, it was meant for a younger crowd. To me it was too loud, I couldn't understand all the words, there was too much 'rap rock', and I was jealous of some of the singer's long hair. But on the upside, the kids had a great time listening to positive messages. The speaker, David Nasser, is from Iran. He had a great story to tell about how he came to American and turned his life from the Muslim religion to Christianity. I wasn't much on the warmup acts, they have a long way to go (in my oh so educated opinion!). New Song has been around a long time and their resurrection anthem, "Arise My Love" had everyone on their feet. Zoegirl (who would like to be Point of Grace) was very good, I thought. They sang one of my favorite praise songs, "Breathe". I also enjoyed a song they sang called Scream. I'll close this blogpost with those lyrics. But I'll also mention Toby Mac. I already knew he was out of my league, but I have to say, he and his crew put on a great show. He also had some great things to say to the young ladies about relationships and not allowing ungodly guys to manipulate them. His encouragement was to make sure they were Christians - above anything else. So I could appreciate that, even if his music wasn't my cup of tea. I love the Newsboys, but their sound seemed messed up (or else by then my ears were rebelling!). But it was fun going over and back. We sang together on the way back and enjoyed the trip. It was good to break away. And we got an almost 4 hour show for ten bucks. Tomorrow after services Maggy and I will head up to Prattville, Alabama to do a presentation. The Kilberns are already there. Prattville has been so good to us over these past few months. Just to name a few things ... they gave us a 15 passenger van, a brother in that church made the racks that our clothing is hanging on in the building, and one family gave up a camper for someone to live in (my daughter!). Richard Medlin has been our primary contact there, and he is a prince. Their preacher, Brent Missildine came and spent a few days working here, as well as numerous other members. I look forward to meeting that church tomorrow. We will spend the night courtesy of the Prattville church, and return Monday. And now for those lyrics...I thought they were very meaningful. They relate to those teenage girls who cry out for attention by cutting themselves. But they also relate to our angst to have God know that we are hurting. Then they affirm that God does indeed know about our pain. Scream Does anybody know how I feel? Sometimes I'm numb, sometimes I'm overcome Does anybody care what's going on? Do I have to wear my scars like a badge on my arm For you to see me, I need release Do I have to scream for you to hear me? Do I have to bleed for you to see me? ‘Cause I grieve, you're not listening to me Do I need to scream? Has anybody seen what's been done? Where was my defense? No one heard my protest The eyes of God were watching me It's time to make my peace, let it go and be released So I can breathe again I'm on my knees I've been marked, set apart But I'm cut so deep and afraid of the dark One drop of blood from the hole in Your hand Is enough to heal me and make me stand ‘Cause I'm clean, He is listening to me I don't have to scream for Him to hear me Don't have to bleed for Him to see me ‘Cause I'm clean, He is listening to me I don't have to screamI don't have to bleed ‘Cause I'm clean, He is listening And I don't have to scream