Out Here Hope Remains

There is hope for the helpless ... Cry Out To Jesus. -- Third Day

Saturday, March 25, 2006

Saturday Night in Arkansas

As a testimony to my dedication to keep all of my faithful readers up to date with Dobbs, I am in the hotel lobby blogging tonight. The connection in the room wouldn't work. This morning at Workshop was, as Saturday always is, a frantic rush to pick up those items we thought about buying most of the week. There were last minute goodbyes and even a class with Zoe worship team and Mike Cope. There is the obligatory rush to the table where you order / purchase CDs and DVDs of the messages so that you can relive some of the important moments of the workshop. My friend Carla Calhoun showed up today. I invited her to eat lunch with us at the Metro Diner, which she did. Carla is a fascinating lady who has a heart for the hurricane victims along the Coast. I could write a book about Carla's qualifications to help out with hurricane relief, but suffice it to say that she knows what she is talking about. We all enjoyed talking to Carla. Perhaps I will see her at the Pepperdine Lectures? She is doing her best to talk me into coming out there and talking about hurricane relief with those who attend that gathering. If you are going to Pepperdine lectures, look for her booth in the hall where the main lectures take place. Carla has encouraged me to continue in hurricane relief even after our city is back in place. There will be other disasters, other people who need help, and other crises. I think the typical preacher feels unable to leave his town to help others for several days. I know it's been difficult to get many preachers to give up a week to help minister here where the fields are so ready for harvest. I want to encourage ministers to engage their elders in a discussion about allowing some time for disaster relief in their schedule - in such a way that it does not detract from their vacation time. I am on the verge of deciding to keep my camper and use it for this purpose. I don't have a vehicle that can tow it, however, and I'll have to work on that project. Tonight we arrived safely at the hotel and promptly went to eat at Village Inn. We are looking forward to worshiping with the University Church of Christ here in Conway, Arkansas in the morning. They have been very good to us in our work on the Coast. Even now there is a work crew there getting ready for several days of volunteering. After worship tomorrow we will head back to the Coast. I have some pictures to share with you, but cannot upload them tonight. I'll try to do so tomorrow night if I'm able.