Out Here Hope Remains

There is hope for the helpless ... Cry Out To Jesus. -- Third Day

Monday, April 03, 2006

Prayers and Friends

I guess it is just a matter of being a storm victim, but my heart is going out to the families in Arkansas and Tennessee who lost their loved ones and homes in storms last night. To tell you the truth, I have a big desire to be right there with them and to offer a helping hand. Are any of us ready for these kinds of crises? As we approach hurricane season 2006, I wonder if any of us are ready for the inevitable. I noticed in the picture below that there is a damaged church of Christ building. I believe this is in Arkansas somewhere.

Unrelated to the above, I did have some pictures from yesterday in Brookhaven that I want to share with you. The first one is of Otis and Sandra Bowman and their boys, Matthew and Zachary. Last time I saw them they were little kids ... growing up so fast. Otis does a great job as the preaching minister for the Johnson Grove Church of Christ in Brookhaven. Sandra is a nurse, mother, preacher's wife, and excellent conversationalist!

I met Otis and Sandra years ago. Once during an ice storm when we all lived in Kosciusko, MS we went over and stayed with them, because for some reason they had heat and no one else did. I know Sandra's family and have considered them my friends for many years. In fact, Sandra has a brother that attends Johnson Grove....

His name is Doug Kimble, and is pictured to the right with his wife Kathy and their son Matthew. (I hope I'm getting all the kid's names right!). Doug has been a preacher, youth minister, and handyman in his life. For many years he preached for the Mt. Zion Church of Christ, also a country church outside of Brookhaven. I once held a meeting there and enjoyed it so much. He currently works at the Nissan plant north of Jackson. Kathy is a school teacher. I remember their wedding in Senatobia, MS ...I think it was in August. Because the air conditioner kept blowing the candles out, they decided to cut it off. (No one asked me, but I would have suggested blowing the candles out!). I also think Doug and Kathy sang a song to each other in the ceremony, and I think it was "Only God Could Love You More." Amazing the things I have filed away in my mind. Now where did I put my wallet?

Johnson Grove is an interesting church. They have a heritage in the non-Sunday School segment of our brotherhood. But interestingly, they always had a softball field, used NIV pew Bibles, and built a gym. I think they now have Bible classes and a vibrant and lovely building in the country. I think the inside is about as pretty an auditorium as I have ever seen. I know several members at this church, including R. J. and Dorothy Redd. Sister Dorothy passed away a few years ago. R. J. looks good. They are so kind and gentle. Their granddaughter, Melissa, is married to David Taylor. David and Melissa have been friends for decades. They now live in Grenada, MS. David's father is Don Taylor, who teaches at Freed-Hardeman University. Melissa's mom and dad are backbones of the Johnson Grove church. Melissa's sister, Tara, has a beautiful new baby. Faulkner University instructor Don Myers is from this church, and he is a wonderful teacher and preacher. For many years Wendell Davis was the minister of this church and at the same time he served as minister of the Mount Olive Church of Christ just a few miles away. He also served as an elder in both churches - at the same time - another unusual fact about this interesting congregation.

Most churches of Christ do not have stained glass, but Johnson Grove has beautiful stained glass along it's auditorium sides and in front of the auditorium. They have about 150 in attendance on Sunday Mornings. I took an upclose picture of the glass in the front of the auditorium, so I'll share that with you.

Last but not least, I want to mention that Margaret's brother, Dickey, and his wife Jan came up to visit with us during this short appointment. Several of us went out to eat together at Broma's in Brookhaven (owned by a member of one of the churches of Christ in the area). Dickey and Jan live in McComb, and have for many years. They attend the McComb Church of Christ, along with Jan's mother (and many others). Jan is from the McComb area and has many kinfolks around Central Mississippi. It was a joy to see them. She prepared a hanging basket with some petunias for us to bring home. I dont' know if Dickey and Jan read my blog, but I know Margaret's other sister and husband (Carol and Johnny) and her other sister (Kathy) read regularly, so I'll include a picture of Dickey and Jan also!

Well, I'm getting tired here! Someone in the last post asked for pictures of Craig Hicks. Since this is an anonymous request, I'm wondering if that wasn't Craig Hicks himself requesting that! There will be plenty of him next week as he and Marvin Phillips and others head down to do preaching and relief work!

I may still blog tonight ... this is just a bonus post. Remember to pray for the tornado victims from last night ... that has to be an incredible experience.