Out Here Hope Remains

There is hope for the helpless ... Cry Out To Jesus. -- Third Day

Sunday, March 26, 2006

Home Sweet Home

It seems like a long time ago that I preached at University Church of Christ in Conway, Arkansas, but it was just this morning. They have an absolutely beautiful facility. Although about 25 workers were down on the Coast, and it was Spring Break, and there were some who were still at Tulsa Workshop, they still had a decent crowd! It was great to see many friends who had been down on the Coast on previous trips. This precious church has gone above and beyond in terms of helping us in our mission to rebuild the lives and homes of Pascagoula citizens. I could tell you about funds, t-shirts, various work groups, an ice machine, an elder who met with me just to pray with me, a minister who has stayed in continuous touch with me (Thanks, Dusty!), but that would only begin to tell the tale! I was very tired this morning, but they were all nice to me and acted like I had a great sermon! One of the neat brothers I met is Larry Davis (I hope it is "Larry" ... I called Matthew "Patrick"!). Larry's dad is an elder in Springdale, AR. Twice after groups from Conway were here and went home, I'd get an e-mail from Larry's dad (Wiley Davis) asking if I had met his son or some other family member. Today I finally got to meet him! I love Larry's dad. He is a great encourager, but one I have only met on e-mail through the Berean Spirit discussion group. Wiley has written a really neat book that I enjoyed as well. In addition, I think Larry is a new grandfather (I could have that detail mixed up with someone else ... I really shouldn't mention these things when I'm not sure they are accurate!). After worship and visiting, we followed Seth Simmons over to Old Acapella ... I mean Old Acapulco for a great Mexican feast. Some of the college students that will be coming down to work in May were there. Seth has organized several campus ministries to participate in the KICKOFF TO SUMMER workcamp. This will be May 14 - 20, and he expects at least 100 college students to be involved. What a great effort! Thanks, Seth! Sitting next to Seth in the picture to the left is Patrick Carnathan. We knew the Carnathan family when they lived in Grenada, MS. Patrick is working on his post-graduate studies at the university. He sang on the praise team this morning, in keeping with his talented family!

We arrived back at home about midnight. I'm tanked up on caffeine, so hopefully I'll get a few hours sleep before it's over with! We had an uneventful trip back home, for which we were thankful. When we got back I picked up my van at the church building. Charlie had vacuumed it out (first time since the storm!) and cleaned it up real nice. What a great guy! He left his digital camera in the van, though. Now was that a gift ... or a mistake??? I think he'll let me know where to send it! When I got back I did get to see Jason Turner tonight and chat with him for a minute. I'm looking forward to visiting with him some in between work assignments. I hear we had a packed house both this morning and tonight at Central. University Church of Christ (Conway) Elder, Bob Wallis preached this morning. In fact, the entire services were conducted by UCOC people. The report is that everything was great. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone over the next few days. There are only a few more nights of our March Good News Nights. Monday night, Dwayne Curry will speak. He is a Youth Minister from Capitol City Christian Church in Raleigh, NC. Tuesday night will be Lance Temarius, a Campus Minister with Campus Christian House in Columbia, MO. Wednesday and Thursday nights we will enjoy hearing from Ben Overby, who does an outstanding work with the soldiers at Fort Benning and is on staff at the Broad Street Church of Christ in LaGrange, GA. I will close out the 31 nights of preaching on Friday night. Come join us if you are in the area! Below: The Tulsa Crew with Carla Calhoun in the middle at Metro Diner Saturday for lunch.