Out Here Hope Remains

There is hope for the helpless ... Cry Out To Jesus. -- Third Day

Friday, March 31, 2006

Skip & Stack

Well, it looks like I skipped a day on the blog. I know a lot of people noticed, but only my mother wrote to let me know! You can always count on Mom! We still do not have a way to get the chairs from Greenwood, MS to the Coast! Also, if one of those who have been down to the Coast to work have lost a digital camera, please let me know ASAP. Tell me about the camera and if it's yours I'll send it back to you! We had two great nights with Ben Overby. He wrote the nicest article about being down here, which is currently posted on his blog. Go read it! What an encourager. I wish I could see Ben more often. His work with Fort Benning is just astounding! Today we met Chris Lockhart in Mobile and shopped for some furniture. We didn't quite get through and hope to do so in the morning. The Port City Church of Christ has been collecting frozen lasagnas for our relief workers, and we'll pick some up tomorrow and bring them back to Pascagoula. One saleslady I was talking to in the furniture store said she didn't know Pascagoula was flooded in Katrina. She's 30 miles away and didn't know? No wonder the rest of the country hasn't a clue! My new Christian Chronicle arrived today, full of interesting articles as always. Editor Bobby Ross reads this blog occasionally, and he does a great job with the Chronicle. Yet, I wonder what we have to do to get a Mississippi news note about hurricane relief? An oversight for sure. I am convicted that without the help of the press, we will never be able to get where we need to be on the Coast. The secular press is only interested if one lives in New Orleans and want to whine about the Federal Government. We have had almost 500 relief workers in Pascagoula in March alone. I know that the Chronicle is doing a hurricane relief update for next issue, but forgive me if I harp on the notion that we should not let an opportunity go by to remind our great brotherhood of the awesome task still undone on the Coast. Our state Christian paper, The Magnolia Messenger, didn't seem to even know that there was any hurricane relief going on in the last issue! The bottom third of Mississippi is still trying to peddle their way to the top of the water! I hope their next issue makes up for lost time! Ok, that's my soapbox for the day! Tonight we concluded 31 Nights of Good News at Central. I was the speaker. I taught from Luke 10, the limited commission. There's a beatitude at the end that I used and asked those present to consider what they saw this week that was kingdom power in action. I was going to record it and put it on my website, but I couldn't get the recorder to work. Also tonight, David Kilbern held up a large stack of papers. These are homes in which we have done all we can do for them. They still have some work that needs to be done, but we have gotten them way ahead of where they were, and many of them can now live in their home. Dwayne Curry and the group from Raleigh, NC will head home in the morning. As with all of the groups that come our way, we will miss them. Tomorrow evening we will have about 80 or so roll in for another week's worth of work. The Calhoun Church of Christ in Louisiana is sponsoring a Prayer Workshop sometime in the near future. The deadline for signing up is April 15th. Hugh Gower is one of the people instrumental in putting it together - and he is a friend of hurricane relief in Pascagoula! I hope your weekend is a great one. If there's anything to share with you, I'll make sure to pass it on tomorrow! God bless!